Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Always Room for Candy

It’s only Tuesday? 

While the extra money has been be nice, it’ll be nice to get back to my more normal schedule next week. I am also kind of bummed that it’s also prevented me from partaking in the extended BreyerFest access. 

It’s been a while since I formally considered myself a PEZ collector – it’s another one of those long and winding stories probably best told in person – but I had to buy this last week when I saw it in the checkout of a local Meijer’s:

My first thought: why is the unicorn facing the wrong direction? My second thought: your move, Reeves.

Pez is actually an abbreviation of Pfefferminz, which is the German word for Peppermint: that was the original flavor the candy originally came in. Even though Pez was technically an Austrian innovation, I would not be averse to having a Pez-themed Special Run for next year’s German-flavored BreyerFest.  

It’s probably as likely as a Steha-themed Special Run, though. I’m not normally a huge fan of Flockies in general, but I did pause for a moment when this delightful fellow showed up on eBay a little while ago: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274924618658?hash=item4002c8c3a2:g:bXYAAOSw4D9hKqst

I don’t remember them being that cute when I saw them being sold at the mall back in the late 1970s. Back then, I only had eyes for the Breyers on the other side of the store: it didn’t hurt that Breyers were also one third the price. Little did I know then that the company that imported Stehas back then would be buying and manufacturing Breyers a few years later! 

While I’ve contemplated adding a Steha or two to the collection for its historical value, the handful of vintage Stehas I’ve found locally have either been prohibitively expensive, or in pretty rough shape. I only hesitate now because I really need fewer fragile, breakable things in my life.

But getting back to the Pez idea: as I’ve discussed before, Breyer did sell Horse and Candy Gift Sets back in the 1950s – I call them Candy Packers – but they didn’t involve elaborate candy delivery systems, just cellophane-wrapped bags of hard candy slung over the body of the horse. 

And it was just the same candy that you’d find in your Grandma’s candy dish. About the only stuff in that mix I had much use for were the Strawberries and Raspberries with the soft, chewy centers. 

I have, on occasion, thought about doing a fantasy custom of a Breyer into a Pez dispenser: both the Forever Saige and the Family Arabian Mare have necks that could accommodate a modest supply of candy. But then I think about the dozens and dozens of other projects I currently have ongoing, and it gets put back into my “maybe later” pile.

I have a fairly important presentation to finish prepping for Thursday, so I’ll see you all again on the other side of that. 

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ah! Just the notion that you've already measured the necks of the FAM and Forever Saige- to see if they could hold candy- warms my heart. In this crazy crazy world...I would love to know if somebody does this, even if it is a bit gruesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I had one of those Steha in the early 80s

Corky said...

I found myself oddly obsessed by Julips for a brief time in the 1990s, but never got around to actually acquiring any.