Wednesday, August 18, 2021

For the Records

It’s old news by now, but still worth noting and recording here, for posterity’s sake:

  • Rainbow Leopard Appaloosa with Blue Interference: 700 Matte, 325 Glossy
  • Flaxen Liver Chestnut Roan: 900 Matte, 325 Glossy
  • Palomino Pintaloosa: 975 Matte, 325 Glossy
  • Sable Champagne Minimal Splash Pinto: 800 Matte, 325 Glossy
  • Bay Maximum Sabino: 1000 Matte, 325 Glossy

I am not understanding the amount of antagonism some hobbyists are still having about the Flaxen Liver Chestnut Roan. It’s like he’s got Khemosabi-level cooties or something. We can’t all make money: sell it at cost and move on with your life. That’s what I did with the Surprises I received that unimpressed me. 

As for not being able to cash in on the current collectibles craziness? (Looks at a garage full of sales items I’ve been unable to list, because a 36-hour day hasn’t been invented yet.) You get used to it, eventually.

Speaking of out-of-control prices, breakdowns for the Surprises were also released today. Per their blog, there were three different 50/50 Splits this year: Seurat, who was the Matte/Gloss; Peche Merle was 50/50 Bay/Buckskin; and Tasilli was 50/50 Marwari/Not. 

All of the Metallic Decorators were issued in 200-piece quantities; with the exception of the Pollock, they were pieces added to (and not taken from) their original announced runs. Anyway, the full details:

  • Uffington: 200 Holographic Silver, 1800 Cremello
  • Peche Merle: 950 Buckskin, 950 Bay
  • Gran Cavallo: 200 Blue/Purple Colorshift, 1800 Liver Chestnut Sabino
  • Seurat: 1000 Matte, 1000 Glossy
  • Knossos: 200 Gold, 1000 Brindle Piebald
  • Tasilli: 1000 Barb, 1000 Marwari 
  • Pollock: 200 Gold with Rainbow spots, 1400 Rainbow with Gold spots
  • Ansel: 200 Metallic Blue, 2000 Blue Roan

Interesting that they’re officially calling the “Mop Top” version of the Marwari a Barb: duly noted. 

The Buckskin Peche Merle shouldn’t be too hard to find on the secondary, so that’s good for me. 

As for the others, I don’t think the announced quantities will affect their prices too much in the short term. The Glossy Seurats will be even more difficult to attain than the Glossy Thorns were, because New Mold + Glossy; and I am already seeing people trying to use the piece quantities to justify their list prices for the variants. 

But this will change with time; as someone pointed out in the comments a post or two below, the prices for the 2020 BreyerFest Special Runs have fallen back down to issue price, or at least only a modest markup. I am hoping once the next “new hotness” comes along, a Glossy Seurat might become a reality. The Variants will probably hover somewhere above the price for the Surprise Glosses, but not quite the stratospheric prices the first few brought. 

As for possibly scoring another variant, that will depend on what’s available at the “Leftovers” Sale in September, and whether my schedule is compatible with me participating. 

(Still not entirely sure; all I know is that this Saturday will be my only day off from now until Labor Day weekend. Oy!)

Incidentally, I’m a little more optimistic that there will still be some variants to be had. The fact that there seems to be a lot of variants already “out there” is more a matter of confirmation bias than anything else: people are more likely to post pictures of their variants than their boring (in comparison) as-advertised Special Runs. 

That being said, I doubt lightning will strike twice here. Best not to think too much about it. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me personally, it's not that the matte roan wasn't nice, it's just that he looks like a regular run, $50 model. When the other Surprise colors were much fancier.

Boulder Sheep said...

I finally scheduled a time with my sister to have a video box opening party, although I couldn't wait to peek: two regular Uffingtons (one already spoken for in a trade for a Seurat, so the agony of having to renege on the trade if by a miracle I pulled the holographic one has been by-passed.) I had offered my sister the second Uffington (before knowing about the variation) and she declined because Breyer's photos just do not do the models justice. So now I will be looking for one at the "Leftovers" sale (as well as hoping for that elusive variant!)

BUT my sister had pulled the rainbow leopard surprise in Matte...AND I pulled it in glossy, which made my hyperventilate for an entire day. And she confirmed it was glossy compared to hers, because I've been having the hardest time telling from photos who is selling a glossy and who is selling a matte. Achievement opened!

But but but but BUT I was already happy having peeked at my Pollock through the wrapping, and loving the regular rainbow but when I opened it up we all gasped because IT IS GOLD. I am gobsmacked and astounded and hyperventilating AGAIN as I expect the gold Pollock (as with the holographic Uffington) will be "Collectors Pieces" from here on out, grail-worthy and therefore nothing I would ever be able to hope to afford on the secondary market.

AND speaking of the Flaxen Liver Chestnut Roan, that was my second choice because I think the Dundee mold shows beautifully in solid colors. I am still kicking myself at hesitating to buy a custom bay Dundee on eBay that I still dream about. Which is a lot of words to say I don't understand the antagonism either.

So far as cashing in, if anyone wants NIB 1990s AQHAs, I am your seller having learned my lesson about buying a pig inna poke lot for 'way too much money. I will list them eventually and MAKE YOU A DEAL. That particular purchase also clarified that I really should buy what I love and only what I love. (Also, I have a Tassili Marwari if you want to trade for that Uffington of yours. Heh.)

Carrie said...

I don't understand why people don't like the matte roan. That was my first choice, but I got a matte champagne splash instead.

Anonymous said...

The cheeto orange m/t is a huge turnoff, for one. And for another, Peptoboonsmall is much nicer and much cheaper, and is very similar in color. So I don't blame those who got one for being upset.

Anonymous said...

*-got the roan Surprise

Salem said...

I actually received my first glossy Surprise this year, not a mold I collect or the color I liked most, but it's what they are calling the Champagne Splash, and it's glossy! I wasn't really excited about anything this year except Dani and Uffington. I laughed when I read Andrea's comments about the Uffington variation, because I felt the same and was both relieved and disappointed to get the regular one. He's awesome, though, something I had dreamed of since I first saw the promo. There's the irony that I liked so many things last year that I couldn't get, I purchased too much this year just because I could finally get something. What I really want is the live event, so I intend to be optimistic about it for as long as possible. The anticipation is what I miss most, because my whole year revolves around BreyerFest, and other than occasionally posting here I'm not on any social media. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Anonymous said...

I wish they hadn't done the variations. I thought I was finally getting a Marwari, a Marwari is what I thought I paid for and I got a Barb. Also I could only afford one ticket. My other SR was Uffington...the regular one. I was actually really happy with them both until I learned about the variations and it ruined everything knowing what I missed out on. I love the dark holo Uffington and I'll never be able to afford one. Also, I hate that people are calling the Barb "mop-top" because I do like the Barb, he's really cute but the fact he is the less desired one adds an extra soreness to my fate. It all makes me so sad and bitter and I hate that in myself. I wish I could have a more positive take and turn off the bad feelings, but it's in my nature to be deeply hurt by these things. :(