Saturday, August 28, 2021

Full of Surprises

My life is weird, part 100 in an infinite series:

I went outside Thursday night to pick some flowers to show everyone at work – they were curious to see what these “Ammi” flowers I had been talking about actually looked like – and then I suddenly heard the Harlem Globetrotter’s theme song. I turned my head and noticed the whistler-in-question was wearing a bicycle helmet and a backpack and coming down the road on a unicycle. Our house is at the bottom of a rather steep hill, and he rather casually road up and over the hill without missing a beat of the song.

I just stood there a moment, because I wasn’t quite sure how to react. Did that just happen? Have I officially seen everything? 

I walked in the house, brushed my teeth, and immediately went to bed. I mean, what else could I do? 

To celebrate my one day off this week, I went to Taco Bell and did a little horse shopping. I almost bought an exceptionally well-shaded Peptoboonsmal, but instead I came home and just completed my order for the latest Stablemates Club release Raider, on the G1 Seabiscuit mold:

I also threw in a Chasing Rainbows Blind Bag because they were having a sale on Stablemates this weekend, and those particular blind bags have been hard to come by in these parts. And there’s always room for more Stablemates!

But back to Raider: apparently he has a slight purple iridescence to him, not unlike the Unicorn Mare and Foal set Mira and Antares. While I wasn’t interested in that set, I think it was more a matter of the molds than the colors, because all of the photographs I’ve seen of Raider in-hand make me love him even more. 

Technically the Seabiscuit mold has come in overo before, but that was in the 1990s when masking was much less sophisticated.

I also bought a box lot online, but I am not entirely sure who or what I’ll be keeping of it until it gets here. Since I didn’t get a chance at one of those NPOD grab bags this year (yet somehow some folks ended with multiples, grr…) I’m counting this as my official Grab Bag Surprise lot. 

2 comments:

Lupa said...

Here in Portland we have the Unipiper, who is frequently seen riding around in various costumes (most famously Darth Vader), with or without bagpipes. Perhaps your strange unicyclist is a Padawan thereof.

Corky said...

When I lived in Japan, one fine morning I was walking down the main street of the town I lived in, when I encountered a gentleman wearing a rather natty outfit that included a vest and a porkpie hat, riding a bicycle and carrying a fully-assembled, ready-to-play clarinet, as well as a broad smile. I have no idea what he was doing or where he was going at 8AM on that sunny Saturday.