Sunday, August 15, 2021

Of Course He Is

To quote myself:

And if I somehow get one of those funky Decos, I’ll also be on the lookout for the “normal” ones. But like I said, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue. (Though it would be pretty hilarious if I got the holographic Uffington, because my luck getting Breyer Double Dilutes is even worse than Glossy Luck. Will they cancel each other out?)

Yes, yes they do:

You should have seen my face when I opened the box and he was literally sitting right on top of the pile, wrapped in a clear plastic bag and very obviously not the Cremello I was expecting. 

Dammit, I got the variation, I muttered to myself. 

Then I started laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. It almost feels intentional, though I know more than likely it isn’t. 

I am grateful that I managed to get the scarcer Uffington right off the bat, but now I’ll have to decide whether to wait until the Leftovers Sale in September and try for another one in actual Cremello or go for something completely different. I’m thinking something different; I’ve never had much luck when it comes to buying duplicates at normal BreyerFests.

I also don’t think these stratospheric prices on everything even the least bit scarce are going to last. I just don’t understand rushing out and buying stuff like this before most people even have their stuff yet. We literally know nothing, except that these variations exist. 

Think about it: out of a run of 1800 pieces, 10 percent would be 180 pieces and 25 percent would be 450 pieces. My guess would be that it is closer to the 25 than the 10, but it’s still early and not everyone has received their shipment yet, obviously.

But numerical quantity is only part of the equation when it comes to calculating value; the bigger determinant is desirability, and Decorators are definitely having their moment right now. 

That, and a sudden influx of people with an unreasonable amount of cash to spend. 

Incidentally, my Ansel is a normal Ansel, and I’m perfectly fine with that. In fact, if he had been a blue one, I’d be posting this from my hospital bed right now: 

He’s a much bigger boy than I thought he’d be, too. I can’t wait to see him in a more standard Morgan color, though (Glossy Dark Bay, anyone?)

My Matte Josie and Best of BreyerFest Stablemates Set also arrived in the same box. All that’s left now are the Stablemate Kaleidoscope and all the miscellaneous swag.  

7 comments:

Holly Harris said...

Oh, this is so nice, Andrea.....good for you!

Your Ansel is gorgeous. I really admire that mold and like you, hoping to see a regular run in a Morgan color, maybe dark bay or liver chestnut.

I've been watching the prices for these special runs on ebay and mhsp. The best part is watching the prices for special runs from BF 2020 drop; I even saw a couple listed at the original purchase price. It happens every year, collectors are always in a frenzy to acquire the shiny new ponies. Having a heavy infusion of Scottish blood, I just can't enjoy something unless I feel like I got a good deal. If that means waiting a year or two, so be it. I have a hunch that the Clarion in 2022 may have all the answers to my collector needs. Let's hope it happens!

timaru star ii said...

Congratulations! and thank you for posting another picture of this color, which I haven't seen enough pix of. I haven't opened any of mine yet -- been on the road.
You are a good reference,... as well as a good conscience.

Anonymous said...

MAJOR CONGRADULATIONS on your decorator, Andrea!!! Your picture does *more* justice to his color than others I've seen pictured!

NOW maybe folks will quit saying that they *never* have any luck when it comes to getting BREYER's special models--because if YOU can get one this late in the game, it gives the rest of us HOPE that haven't received neither our SR's or LE's yet!!!! (WHAAAATTT???!!!! You're NOT in the hospital NOW???) HaHa! BELIEVE ME--My neighbors WILL hear ME if I am that fortunate!!

(I will put myself out there and say that I was one of the "weird" people who *didn't* like the variations at first--but they have grown on me!! Among my loot I'm expecting, I have 2 ANSELs, TASSILI and a POLLOCK coming! I'm *praying* that I get the rainbow Pollock and the Marwari eared Tasili--OR they will DEFINITELY be up for trade or sell! Unfortunatedly, I wasn't chosen for the Surprise --and I LOVE roans--so I'm *hoping* I can pick one up down the road!
Now that I've seen the variation on the ANSEL, if I get one of each, they'll BOTH be staying! (I saw the Blue decorator at a recent model swap meet and he's NICE!!!) I didn't care for the Paso --but I wouldn't mind having the purple one!!

The only other Surprise(s) I'll be Looking for is the BALD FACED grulla (he doesn't look Champagne to me ---I've seen them "in person" and his color is too dark!) and the leopard appy decorator! While I'm "Team Glossy" all the way--these guys are *nice* matte!!

I've digressed again--sorry (With all the negativity and nastiness to each other going on, I'm avoiding the usual social model horse media until such time (if EVER) people can return to some sort of civility and treat others with understanding and kindness!)

Anyway, your horses are *gorgeous*, Andrea! (I love your Surprise horse!)
MAJOR CONGRATS again!

EllOnWheels said...

Congrats on the holo Uffington! I was sort of hoping for him, but ended up with the regular cremello version. For a half a second I was sad, but then I was like "waitaminute. He was the one you wanted most out of all of them!" ... I literally have nothing to complain about. Other than the marks on his and Seurat's barrels (the bane of my existence!).

I'm glad that others are like me and waiting on the Kaleidoscope and merch. I got my Dani and SRs together, but now am waiting on the little stuff. I am holding off on contacting Breyer until sometime in September if my items don't arrive. It was nothing critical that I had to have or anything. But since so many others are in the same boat, I'm not nearly as worried.

Denise said...

Congratulations! So happy for you! I love this variation and have been waiting for a black point Uffington if he was what we could have ordered I would have done so in a heartbeat he's gorgeous!

loudthoughts said...

I had a similar experience to yours, but with Tassili --- I was finally going to get my first Marwari (with the curvy ears) ....and I got the variation, which also seems to be less desirable than the original, of course, so there goes ever being able to afford him second hand. *sigh* I do love him, though. Tassili was my third choice, but I'm glad I got him of either variation. That coppery color is just so pretty. :)

Boulder Sheep said...

Congratulations! I had my fingers crossed: my first Uffington was the regular one, so I was hoping and hoping but it was not to be. Now I have the holographic Uffington as a grail to seek, which is nice because I enjoy the hunt. I am so glad one landed with you.