Sunday, August 13, 2023

The Gray Areas

Still busy, but making progress, enough to take a moment and finish one controversy before I start another. So here’s that other thing I bought recently that you may or may not recognize, from that same seller I bought a couple of other “questionable” models from, and who very well may block me from bidding on items in the future after talking about this:

This Merrylegs was sold as a “Custom” and I suppose technically she is, but in the same way that a lot of Marney Test Colors from the 1980s were: being something painted (or touched up) at the factory using factory paint by someone who wasn’t directly employed by the factory. 

She was advertised on eBay as such because she has the dated signature of her painter, D’arry Frank:

D’arry was a good friend of Marney’s and sometimes accompanied her to the factory in Chicago to also paint things. Even though these models now exist in a kind of “gray area”, the powers-that-were at Breyer at the time gave them the same consideration – and sometimes, moreso – as the Tests and Variations created by the hourly or contracted employees.

The rationale for that being that hobbyists are going to try and paint things that they – and other hobbyists – wanted to buy.

Yes, this is a rather long-winded way of saying that she’s a Vintage Test Color, however we choose to define them. And even if I accepted the original explanation, it would still be a win for me, because I have wanted a custom by D’arry since the mid-1980s anyway!

The real question now is whose collection is this, really? This was clearly someone who knew what they were doing. And a seller (or assistant) who doesn’t quite.

(Still doesn’t make up for the Performance Horse, but water over the bridge, yadda-yadda…)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that lovely little Merrylegs and wondered where she ended up! But I was hoping you were going to tell us that the Performance Horse came home to you after all.

Yes, I have been wondering that very thing---WHOSE collection is this??? This isn't a hodge podge, randomly thrown together collection found at a local estate sale. SOMEONE knew what they were assembling and had the time and money to buy the very best.

Congrats on a pretty pony (in my absolutely favorite vintage paint job! :))

Kiri said...

There was a black shire by the same artist that just went. I'd really like to know where this collection came from, too. There are so many cool pieces that it's unreal. My collection isn't anything like this and I've been collecting for years (mostly whatever catches my eye, but still).

ANDREA said...

One: I swear I didn't plan this.

Two: I didn't snag the Shire; I literally just missed it.

Three: This has to be the collection of someone we know. The pool of active collectors from this time period (mid 1980s to mid 1990s) who had the money, time and foresight to assemble a collection like this is not large.

Kiri said...

I know who got the shire - she's a friend of mine who usually collects Ethereals, oddities, and Classics. If you want, I could ask her to send you an email with pictures when she gets it. She literally sent me a text five minutes ago with "Look at this cool thing I just bought".

RE Point Three: I've been out of the hobby for YEARS, only recently getting back in because I ditched my ex and now I have the time + money. I have no idea who this is. I feel like I would have known 15 years ago, though. I'm not a super serious collector and never was, but it's HARD to miss someone who can assemble a collection like this.

It's also inspiring me to label and catalogue my stuff. I want whoever distributes my stuff to know what it is and know what it's worth.

Sorry for any rambling/being long winded. I can only talk so much Breyer stuff with friends and family lol

timaru star ii said...

Apologies if I'm blind, but what's that "ga" or "9a" on the belly? Is the 'a' a 4? D'Arry's signature I certainly recognize. Merrylegs looks lovely in this color.

Corky said...

Timaru Star II -- it looks like some of the ink in the signature has rubbed off over time. The "a" is a "4." You can see part of the "D" in "D'arry" is rubbed off too.