Sunday, August 20, 2023

Showing, Not Telling

So I go away for a few days to deal with some stuff, and this is what I come back to?

Look, I absolutely detest the concept of both-siderism – the notion that in certain arguments and situations that everyone is equally awful – because 99 percent of the time, it’s not only is it intellectually lazy, it is also almost universally untrue. 

But let us all agree that both in-person and online BreyerFest attendees have the capability of being either terrible people, terrible to their fellow hobbyists, or both. 

I doubt there is a solution to the Special Run distribution problem that will satisfy everyone. We can make things better, but we can’t make it perfect. I’d like to think that what I proposed last time isn’t necessarily “the” solution, but might lead to some improvements. 

I am still working on my dissertation on the Best Customs Contest, but technical and work-related difficulties are holding me up yet again, with a little bit of bad weather thrown in. I’m hoping everything is better by Tuesday. 

(Laughs nervously.) 

To compensate, here’s a picture of the model that won me the Gloss RD Marciea Bey at BreyerFest Live this year: my Chalky Dapple Gray Hanoverian, who I bought directly from Horses International way back in 1986!

His name is Counter Espionage: that was his original name when I showed him in the 1980s, and I saw no reason to change it. I had gotten some advanced intel on him before he was officially released, and college-age me thought it was an oh-so-clever play on words.

(Countertops, get it? I know, just terrible....)

Since there are not any local live shows around here in the next couple of months, my heart wants me to enter the Online Open Show, but my brain is telling me otherwise; I’ll wait and see how this week pans out before I make that decision. 

4 comments:

Purely Model Horses said...

Oh, for God's sake, people... what is that mess on the last blog post?

Firstly, it's not like every last online person is complaining. It's probably a vocal minority on top of that, asmost of us don't even have much of an online presence to begin with, nor did we have issues with in-person sales.

Secondly, you're complaining just as much about us merely HAVING A CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE because of it. Are disabilities, living elsewhere, or not having money to travel to Kentucky a reason to complain about not getting things, merchandise wise? No. Are those a good reason for us to just be excluded from participation? Also, no.

Thirdly, I thought the adult thing to do is try to calm down and think level headedly first, but what would I know?

Anonymous said...

Counter Espionage is gorgeous, and what a great name, LOL. I love that old school splatter dapple style.

Anonymous said...

Excellent responses Andrea and PMH.

Also, Counter Espionage is a great name!

GWR said...

What a beauty! Congrats on your long-ago purchase, and on your much more recent win. :D