Friday, August 11, 2023

Gibson and Stuff

This is (not) my week: I have maybe fifteen minutes to spare today to let y’all know I am not dead. 

Apparently there are like a bajillion Special Runs for Tractor Supply? Considering I don’t think I ever saw a single blind bag Stablemate last year, my hopes are not high on seeing any this year, especially if my schedule keeps doing what it’s been doing. 

I might try for the Traditional Belgian “Gibson”: aside from being a vintage mold that I already like, and something I presume will be in much less demand, maybe he won’t be as hard to acquire:

But what the heck do I know, I wasn’t even picked from the waitlists for Oriole. On the Forever Saige mold that all the cool kids love to hate. 

(FWIW, I’ve pretty much given up on the whole “Birds of a Feather” Series, anyway.)

The only complication here is that I could see the mold being popular here locally because of Kirk Gibson. And since getting celebrities to sign models for me has been a theme lately, it gives me notions…

Speaking of notions, I was also curious why I hadn’t seen anything about the Best Customs Contest this year yet – since I’ve been contemplating giving it a go next year, mostly for funsies and to motivate me finish a custom for once – but then I did track down some of the entrants this year, and oh good lord...

I have words, and as you might have guessed, they are not going to be entirely nice ones. 

But I won’t have time for that – to write it, and deal with the fallout – until next week.  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sick of all the nonsense surrounding the BCC myself. If they're not going to offer a novice/amateur division for people who don't do it for pay, why even bother?

ANDREA said...

That's a small part of it; most of it is I don't think some of the finalists met the definition of a custom. You can't put a scoop of pie filling in a cupcake and call it a pie!

Anonymous said...

The best customs have become a joke to me.

Same Breyer hired artists usually win.

And now this sorry, crap that has a piece of a Breyer taped to a piece of cardboard inside what looks like a taxerdermy pony IS NOT A BREYER CUSTOM.

I'm sorry it's so disrespectful to even have those huge pieces be finalists when they are no more a custom Breyer than fly to the moon.

Anonymous said...

I like the Belgian, too. We also love the FFA cow ornament - my husband was very active in FFA, and we met showing cows (live ones, not plastic ones). I bet Kirk “Gibby” Gibson would sign a model if it would benefit Parkinson’s research in some way!

ANDREA said...

I love the little cow too! It's going to be super popular. I bet. And they definitely need to shrink the calf now for the sm performance showers.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree about BCC. It looks broadly from the outside like a sham way for Breyer to pay its artists with 10,000 prize models that they can put on their taxes as $50 worth.

Meanwhile the actual entries have gotten more and more ridiculous - massive scenes, giant sculptures with a hoof inside but otherwise OS, gimmicks and the like. And I’m not a customizer so I don’t think I’m just sour grapes, because I would never even enter as a novice. But I guess as an OF collector it is irritating to me that the BCC generally gets the nicest and rarest models of the entire event that pure OF people can only hope to get through the one silent auction piece.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Yup they need to do away with those Best custom prizes. They've removed the neat diorama prizes instead just a glossy celebration horse I guess the best customs should just get that too.

esp since it's just a bonus for the Breyer hired artists.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would love to see all the contests get the same prize (the glossy celebration horse) - still a very special thing that most of us would be so thrilled to win

Tish said...

The Belgian is lovely. And speaking of Breyerfest, ooof is there going to be drama. All the models were pretty much sold out in 4-5 min. I had both Peanutine and the Stagecoach Surprise in my cart at 10:01 and the site crashed when I was clicking through the payment screen. Ouch.