Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Sorrel Family

Here’s the evidence that I am not totally crazy:

Behold! An entire family of Dark Sorrel Family Arabians!

And here’s the Five-Gaiter that came with the Foal, many moons ago. That was such a deal!

The Western Prancing Horse and Fighting Stallion that I have in this variation are on the lighter side, incidentally. 

The fact that there’s a lot of variation in all of these variations is an excellent argument for the idea that these were not a one-off Special Run items, but things with extended production runs. 

That’s obviously the case with the #114 Bay Western Prancer, who appears to have been made in this variation for most of his production run. 

It’s a little less clear with the Fighting Stallion. Based on the fact that early ephemera pictures depict the Sorrel variation, I think he was made in that variation at the beginning of his production run, but switched over to Breyer’s early version of “Bay” (reddish-brown body with black mane and tail and black hooves) pretty quickly. 

This obviously throws the chronology for Gloss Bay Fighters into question, but I do not want to get into that contentious issue today.

So where does that leave the Family Arabians? Good question! I tend to fall into the “it’s a production variation” camp, rather than “previously unknown/undocumented Special Run”, because two of the other Sorrel variations turned out to be just that: variations, not independent Special Runs. 

The questions then become: when, and for how long? Those, I am not so sure about.

Back to the paperwork!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the FAM and FAS in this variation. My uncle gave them to my grandparents when he returned from the Korean war, so mid-50s? He said he bought them in either Oklahoma or Texas on his way home, so I don't know if that helps at all. After my grandparents died, he gave them to me because I was a model horse collector, and if the house caught on fire, they would some of the first things I grabbed...

Suzanne said...

The FAM has the most extraordinary facial expression!

Suzanne said...

My theory- they ran low on black paint now and then...

Leslie R. said...

Knew you weren't creepy from long ago!!! Your knowledge rocks!! Knowledge is power!