Sunday, July 24, 2022

Actual Uffington

Not everything that needed to be done is done, but I can’t put off reentry into the “real world” any longer, alas. Allegedly my work schedule will be changing again next week too, which is also complicating things a bit. Bleh.

So anyway, if you’re expecting a follow up from me on anything, expect it some time this week.   

Oh, and for what it’s worth, my exhaustion was simply exhaustion, and nothing else. I am old(ish) and have been operating on four to five hours sleep for the past several months to meet various deadlines, and BreyerFest. I took all the reasonable precautions at BreyerFest, including limiting my shopping time at the hotel and maintaining social distancing when it was feasible. 

I am now, at least for the next month or so, deadline free, so my body is taking advantage of that and trying to get me reasonably caught up on sleep. The only things I have actively planned for this week – aside from catching up on old, unfinished business – is gardening, and figuring out what the heck happened to my sales inventory. 

(Somehow I ended up with three different sales lists?)

Speaking of shopping, here was my first “big purchase” of BreyerFest:

Even though I was focused on Vintage stuff, I wasn’t going to pass up a pretty darn nice Cremello Uffington for less than $100, especially since the cheapest ones on the Internet are still hovering in the $150 range!

Hobbyists are always so concerned that the models they want will get more expensive over time, when that’s generally not the case. Wait long enough, and you’ll eventually find what you want at a price you can afford.

This is also why I’m a little exasperated by people buying Special Runs at a crazy markup right now, when they didn’t even bother selling off the leftovers on Sunday, supposedly because of concerns over the weather. 

There’s still a bunch of stuff to be distributed, people! Let your bank account take a nap too, at least until the leftover sales are officially announced.

(I think I might need a Landler, eventually. Maybe a Rapunzel, too.)

Supposedly some Holographic Uffingtons showed up in few of the Warehouse Finds boxes, so when I managed to snag a box Saturday morning, there was a (very tiny) concern in the back of my head that I’d end up with another. Because that would be just my luck.

Fortunately that was not the case. I would rather take whatever mojo I have left for the year and roll it forward (when is the drawing for the next Exclusive Event, anyway?)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The left over models were not sold due to all the people's tickets that had not arrived in time for breyerfest. Breyer said that the tickets could be sent in after. Can't sell models that already have people waiting for them.

loudthoughts said...

Do you think the holo Uffington will ever leave the four digit range? I was so depressed that I got the regular perlino, simply because I knew I'd never be able to afford the holo. I had missed my only chance at getting him by not randomly getting him in that initial purchase. :/ I do love the the perlino, but I love that dark holo look so much more. It's just really cool. :)

EllOnWheels said...

I did see a few social media posts on Instagram and Facebook of folks who pulled the variations from last year. They looked legit, as they showed the other items that had come in the grab bag. I know of at least one holo Uffington, one blue Ansel, and I think at least two of the purple Gran Cavallo. Having a gotten a purple Gran Cavallo last year in the Second Chance sale, I'd be inclined to believe the posts are on the up and up.

Speaking of the Second Chance sale, I'm hoping it will be available to online ticket holders as well. I couldn't justify the inflated price for the online random SR, so I am waiting on that or the secondary market to get a Franz, and maybe a Brahams... Stein if I get extraordinarily lucky with pricing. lol

I hope your luck rolls around for an Exclusive Event for you. I couldn't afford one, but I always love when people who are active online get to attend and I can see the pretties. Hope you catch up on your rest soon.

Vajarra said...

I still think he's creepy looking but congratulations on a good deal! I want to get a Brahms but I hope he comes down in price.

Anonymous said...

Regarding Breyerfest: I have attended Breyerfest since 1994 in person, and have participated in the Virtual Breyerfest's for the past three years (was not able to go in person this year). In the past, there was no charge for shipping and this year there was. I thought, OK, I would rather pay shipping then not be able to participate and purchase the special run models. When I found out that the Rhenish Draft was being offered in both Matte and Glossy, I made four orders ie two on Friday, one on Saturday, one on Sunday hoping my chances were made better to get at least one of each, plus they only allowed one per order anyway. I paid substantial shipping for each order, but figured they would be shipped in separate boxes. I was horrified to find everything crammed into one extremely large box. They combined all my orders, but shipping that way, many of my special run horse boxes where crushed from the weight of everything in the box, 53 pounds. Plus they pulled all of my Rhenish Drafts from one box I feel pretty certain as they were all Mattes. (I remember collectors having the same situation with the Stablemate Christmas Clydesdales.) My other complaint is I feel they made out on the shipping cost from me as they paid for shipping once vs. the amounts I had paid for each order. Thanks for letting me vent. I love reading your blog, it is the next best thing to being at Breyerfest for collectors like me that weren't able to be there in person.

Anonymous said...

PS I was charged $200.50 in shipping and I am guessing that only about half of that or less was actually used.

Anonymous said...

yeah they better get people the shipping overage back. not cool.

Anonymous said...

They’ve overcharged for shipping for yrs. I once paid $21 for shipping for a CC web SR & when it arrived it was crammed into a thin box that was too small with 1 small piece of bubble wrap put between the model & the box on 1 side. The ears of the model were poking through the top of the box & the only reason they weren’t broken was because they were under the packing tape. I gave the box to my neighbor who worked at USPS & asked him to find out exactly how much it cost Breyer to ship the model. They changed me $20 but only paid $8.65 to mail the model to me. There’s no way that thin box, 1 small piece of bubble wrap, plastic bag, tape & label made up the difference & neither did what they paid the employee to pack it. All in all the total cost to pack & ship model was probably less than $10 but I paid twice that. I rarely order anything from them if I can help it. Usually I’d rather go without than order directly from Breyer.

Lydia Lepic said...

Ohhhh! What a find! I've been stalking ebay and MHSP for a reasonably priced Uffington. Anglo Saxon history and archeology is one of my favorite topics to geek out on, so he's in my top three on my wish list. I hilariously thought I had a chance of getting one on ebay for about $100, but my max bid was $90 and he sold for $123. If I'd managed to get him, he was going to be my birthday present. But we're doing a huge home reno, so I let him go. So now I'll stalk the internet for a decently priced Marwari of the non-glossy persuasion. I do love a hunt and these more exotic breeds are my soft spot. :)