Friday, June 7, 2019

Two Small Drafters

I don’t buy any of the Crystals because I am preternaturally clumsy. I was briefly concerned I would have to break this rule when I saw the sneak preview of this year’s BreyerFest Crystal, and I suspected it might be the Fell Pony. (No pun intended. Really.)

Fortunately, it was not:


Defiant is based on the 1993 Evolution of the Horse Shire, who we last saw as a BreyerFest Special Run in 2009 “Party Time”.

I do like the mold, and if it should ever come in a plastic version – Traditional, Classic, Stablemate, whatever – I would definitely consider it, depending on the size they adapt it to.

Smaller would be better, for me anyway.

I haven’t opened up my Unicorn Zena, for instance, because she’s about three weeks long and pointy. Not a good combo in a house with limited shelving, a small dog with periodic fits of zoomies, and my status as person of inadequate coordination. I really am trying to avoid bringing more big, pointy things into the house.

That’s why I am more tempted, and more intrigued by this new Mid-Year Classic Brabant Mighty Muscle. We’ve definitely been underserved in the Classics department when it comes to Draft Horses, but I’d like to take a closer look in person before I commit to liking or loving him. He is not quite as dynamic as I thought he would be, though I do not know if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

(I am on board with everyone else, though, in loving the new Classic Rearing Mustang American Dream, but more on why another time.)

But back to the Porcelain Shire/Defiant. I could have sworn that there was at least one Traditional-scale injection-molded Sample or Test of that mold floating around somewhere, but a cursory search of my files didn’t turn one up.

And I am not particularly motivated at the moment: my time is probably better spent tonight finishing my sales list or working on any of my BreyerFest stuff because of course I am already way behind on that stuff.

Another busy weekend awaits. alas!

No comments: