Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Suave

One good thing about having a Silver as a Store Special? Not having to hear months of hobbyists fretting that no really, THIS will be the year Silver will be the Surprise Model.


That is not going to happen: three days of insomnia has left me too tired and foggy to rehash the arguments why.

I was hoping that we’d see this mold in the form of a Glossy Reissue of the original Silver Release, mostly because I am kind of smitten with the look of my Vintage Club Gloss Chalky Alabaster Cantering Welsh Pony, and think the Silver would look equally fine in a similar suit of clothes.

Whether I get Rico or not is… iffy. I think the color will look nice on him in person – basically a Matte version of the 2009 Early Bird Special Run Angel Food Cake – but I am not the fan of the Silver mold a significant portion of the hobby is, and my shopping list so far is already full of many definites and maybes.

And his name… well, I worked with a guy named Rico, once. While that was an interesting experience (not all bad), I don’t think I want to be reminded of him every time I look at it.

(It’s as logical a reason as any other I’ve seen to just saying no to any given model…)

A Dundee mold will also be released – not sure if it’s a Store Special, Mid-year, or some other classification of production run – as a portrait of Jonathan Field’s horse Hal.

Though for the sake of my sanity I will also assume that this is a very, very, very sly and subtle reference to the original Silver Age Green Lantern, Hal Jordan. (I’m more of a Guy Gardner gal, myself, but at this point I will take any DC reference, no matter how tenuous.)

That’s it for me today. Off to make another go at this “sleep” thing. Will the fourth time be the charm?

1 comment:

Truson said...

Kind of "meh" on this one... I also would have preferred a glossy re-issue of the original Lone Ranger's Silver. I'm not a huge fan of this mold, I don't much care for flea-bitten greys despite my best horse ever being that color...too many real horses of that color find their way to me...and DC comics don't mean anything to me, I never read them, so all these references are totally lost here. For me they're more like names picked out of a hat. If his eyes look nicer in person than they do in the pictures, he's a maybe, but Old Ironsides looked old already to me before I even unboxed her. The dull ghosty eyes really don't sell the models well.