Sunday, March 31, 2019

Moving On

Figures: I buy a bunch of seeds in hopes of maybe getting a few direct-sowers in the ground ASAP, and of course it has to snow. Well, the beds do need a bit more cleaning up, and I have to finally finish up my taxes anyway…

The latest America the Beautiful Web Special, Bandelier has all the makings of a model that I’d want, but for some reason I keep forgetting to enter for him.


I guess I am hesitant to add another higher-end, lower production run El Pastor to the herd, no matter how pretty he might be. It’s for entirely personal reasons: I’ve had an Escondido on my sales list for a couple of years with hardly a looky-loo thrown its way, and it’s been bothering me.

The model itself is perfectly fine, but I have had a difficult time looking at him ever since the disappointment of not winning the Diorama Contest Sona in 2017 hit me harder than I thought it would.

(And it didn’t help that last year at BreyerFest it felt like literally every other 12-year-old girl picked him up in hopes of him being Sona, only to plunk him back down a hot moment later. Sigh.)

The next couple of weeks are going to be a bit on the expensive side for me (taxes, BreyerFest tickets, et al) so it’s probably for the best if I just move along and forget all about the El Pastor mold for a while.

However, I was able to find cheaper, less emotionally-fraught thrills on Friday: the Walmart Horse Crazy Singles!


I attribute finding them less to luck, skill or persistence and more to the fact that everyone else has since gotten their fill and moved on to the next latest, hottest thing, whatever that is. In this case, I’m okay with that, since it works to my advantage.

What’s interesting about the selection of molds they used here is that it shows that Reeves really does have some idea of who their Stablemates “heavy hitters” are, sans the mini Alborozo.

The only one of the four that doesn’t completely float my boat is the G3 Thoroughbred: as I’ve said before, his proportions are more cartoonish than I prefer, and I am not crazy about his long ears.

I wasn’t thrilled when they put last year’s One-Day Stablemates release of the Ruffian on this mold; as a result of my hesitation, the mold’s inexplicable (to me) popularity has made my acquisition of one a completely moot point for me. And being Glossy Dark Bay. And being a portrait of Ruffian. It was a dumb mistake on my part, I confess...

(Though seriously: the last one I saw sold on eBay for $125: that’s almost the same amount of money I sold my last spare Hermes for. And they only made 75 of him!)

I do like the paint job on the new Walmart release, though – it’s not your typical generic “overo” pinto paint job, and I think it complements the mold pretty well. (FYI: of the four, the Rivet is my favorite, only because the shading on him is amazing.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoever designed the G3 TB knew what they were doing- it looks just like the kind of overo that overo TBs usually come in.