Monday, March 25, 2019

Magic

Irrelevant but short non-spoilery review of Shazam!: This is the comic book movie I would have written. In fact, after the first five minutes or so, some of the references and beats were so on-point I thought maybe I slipped onto an alternate Earth where I did!

Alas, no. That’s my only real quibble with it, aside from the lack of a few obscure and not-so-obscure characters that I am pretty sure will turn up in later films, regardless.

Other than going to see the movie on Saturday, the rest of my exciting weekend consisted of me sleeping off a rougher-than-average Spring cold and working on my taxes.

Pickings at the local thrift stores have been slender anyway, and I haven’t had the time to do much retail shopping, other than pick up the last two SR Spirit Gift Sets at the local Tractor Supply. (They were 75 percent off – basically body price – and looked lonely.)

The Collector’s Club Special Out of the Blue is apparently sold out; considering previous Collector’s Club Specials either took an extended period of time to sell out, or were quietly taken off the web site after a certain period of time, that was a bit of a surprise.

I don’t know what the magic ingredient or formula was to achieve the quick sell-out: a lower piece count, fewer-than-average reports of flawed models, or just the fact that the model + color combo was really photogenic?

But I am not entirely disappointed that she’s already sold out (I am still sorting out my current horse overage here) but I would not rule out putting her on my want list later in the year.

In BreyerFest news, the sneak peek of the Diorama Prize model tells us that it’s something Glossy Flaxen Red Chestnut… and I don’t know if I should even hazard a guess, other than it looks kind of Vintage.


To be honest, I’ve spent most of my creative “free” time working on my Costume Contest entry, and haven’t even thought about my Diorama. Try as I might, it’s obvious that my craft stash appears to be lacking the magic pixie dust that makes other contestants so successful.

I still want to do it, but it’s hard to get excited, you know? Kind of the same way football fans around here usually make the logical decision to invest more of their emotional well-being in the Wolverines or the Spartans, instead of the Lions.

To end on a cheerier note, here’s a semi-relevant Queen song, just because:


(And also: there’s a montage in Shazam! set to a Queen song, and I was like Aw yeah, this movie totally gets me.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Model is the vintage Haflinger. :D

Yvonne said...

I think she sold out due to mold and color. Much more popular than the Cheetos orange horse they offered last year! (one of the few models I have ever actually passed on!)

Truson said...

Good color + good action mold = sales every time. I love the CB but his Cheeto-ness is hard to un-see once you have seen it.

timaru star ii said...

Yes, I confirm it is the Haflinger. Took me long enough! but I'm sure now.