Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Pondering Time

I haven’t spent much pondering time on the sneak preview of the BreyerFest Nonhorse Special Run, so I can’t credibly give you my thoughts on what it could be:


Though I am annoyed that, in spite of their blog text teasing us otherwise, the name of the .png file tells me it’s going to be yet another sprocking Marvel-themed character. (Not to be that kind of nerd, but has anyone at Reeves HQ actually been in a comic book store? It’s not that scary guys, I swear!)

What I’m hoping for is either something we haven’t seen before as a BreyerFest Special – like a Moose, or a Polled Hereford Bull (pretty please?) – or something offbeat, like a Kitten with a cape or a Jasper with wings.

...seriously, why haven’t we gotten a legitimate production run Flying Pig yet? If Breyer had the cojones to make a Pink Elephant in 1958, a Flying Pig ought to be a no-brainer. They have the Pig, they have the wings, they’ve already done Tests of the concept, it’s an item with crossover appeal, and it would also kinda-sorta fit with the theme...

(Incidentally, there was a Super Pig, but it was not a DC property.)

I also would not object to any of the Dog molds, since many would be on point with the theme, but they generally haven’t been the best sellers at BreyerFest. (Note to self: still need to buy myself a Beethoven.)

Considering that I’ve either loved or found something to like with all of the announced Special Runs so far (aside from the naming thing), going with something more safe and conventional would save me some money.

Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who looks for reasons to rule out buying BreyerFest Special Runs, instead of looking for reasons to put them on the list. It would make things far less crowded in my office!

7 comments:

Truson said...

My money is on the Moose for the win! Bullwinkle was often a small part of the old Underdog cartoons and that fits with "it's a bird, it's a plane", and I believe Rocky also said "it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Mr. Know It All!"

LostInAn80sFog said...

Oh please, let it be Superpup. PLEASE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Superpup

(Although Krypto would be a nice tie-in, maybe on something unexpected like Lassie?)

I must also add that now I need flying pigs. Plural. Jasper the flying pig, and a one-day SR stablemate flying pig. If that happened, those pigs would be most welcome to raid my piggy bank.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about comic book themes but the teaser photo you posted looks like wild sheep/goat country. If that were my ONLY clue, I would say the Dahl Sheep or Mountain Goat mold.

But I don't follow Breyerfest (since I can't ever go) so I haven't been keeping up with the themes and such.

Unknown said...

Mountain goat.

Anonymous said...

It's the St Bernard.

Lupa said...

How about Ace the Bat Hound on the German shepherd? Even the body style is 1950s vintage.

Truson said...

Very sad it's not the moose. I can't believe they did this again after how many years it took to sell out the last ones.