Saturday, December 16, 2023

Sharing is Caring

Although I think I am through the worst of the cold, I have to say that I am very sick of being sick. The past two months have been plagued by insomnia, gastrointestinal issues, back pain and (this week) a nasty cold. 

I am trying to accept it as a slow-motion system crash and hoping that once the cold has run its course, the rest of the year will be both painless and productive. (The heating pad I bought for my office chair gets to stay, though. Why didn’t I buy one of these before?)  

As it is right now I barely have the energy to open up my mail when I get home. So many tempting packages sitting at the foot of my bed; I may just end up saving them all for Christmas anyway.

The Collector’s Club Appreciation Sale sold out a little faster than I anticipated; my guess is that there were fewer pieces available than I suspected. I wasn’t tempted – too much stuff here people, way too much stuff – but looking at the Traditionals they now have in production, I fear I might bite the bullet next year: Mojave, Zorah Belle and Mooney? I’d be delighted with any one of those in gloss!

I am a little bummed that they’re returning to the mini-display boxes with the Stablemates Club releases next year; I much prefer the eminently reusable two-piece cardboard ones myself. It’s not going to affect the status of my membership. Which I need to renew sometime soon…

Since mobility is still a little bit of an issue for me, here are a few brightening up my very cluttered desk. First, the BreyerFest Horse of a Different Color Dada:

There’s nothing particularly special about this one: I just think he’s a neat little guy and he makes me smile. (As does the art movement that inspired him!) Second up is a NIP Buckskin Quarter Horse Mare with the MEXICO mold mark:

I already had loose examples, but I had been wanting a New in Package example for ages, and she just happened showed up on eBay at an extremely reasonable Buy It Now price earlier this year. Contrary to popular opinion, MEXICO-stamped Quarter Horse Mares are not all that rare, but Vintage NIP Stablemates are definitely a thing right now, especially in this fine of a condition. She was included in my Stablemates Collector’s Class Entry at BreyerFest that took Fifth Place.

And finally, one of the customs I had been working on, before I decided to go all-in on quilting for the rest of the year:

Yup, good ol’ Mesteno: The Messenger! I took him up as both a companion piece to the Mesteno’s Mother custom that is also still languishing on my work table, and as an even more extreme artistic challenge. 

He was the experimental piece that ended up in my BreyerFest Free Box, but I either came to my senses or lost them again, and fished him back out. He still has lots of problems that I probably won’t get around to fixing until Spring, but I am rather pleased at my progress, and wanted to share with the group. 

(His tail is just loosely taped on; it won’t be reattached until I’m finally happy with the resculpting.)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I have always wondered what the MesteƱo molds would look like with a bit of anatomical fixing but never had the determination to learn to do it myself. Your guy is a looker!

I feel you on the fatigue, though mine is medically induced. Hopefully your cold & everything else will soon be a memory!

I like Dada too. I should put mine in my nativity — there's already a hedgehog, dinosaur, & rainbow slug, why not?

timaru star ii said...

I second Carrie: "That's what Messenger *Should* look like!" is what I said when I saw him. Keep going in that direction.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better soon Andrea!! Being sick is no fun!!
Congrats on your Dada! Hmmm--I must be one of the few people who is thrilled that Breyer is returning to the clear display boxes! I hated the blue satin bags(Altho having them for the special collector SM's is Ok because the bags have the model's name on them!)
Didn't care for the current cardboard boxes either--but I made it work!! I guess because I don't "live" show as much anymore, I prefer to SEE what I'm getting!
Speaking of which, how *cool* is that that you still can find vintage models in their original packaging??? WOW!! (I mean--I no longer unbox my models either--and I, too, have Mexico variation -- but--nearly 50 years???? Ummm--NO!!)
Can't wait to see how that Mesteno turns out! He looks great so far!