Thursday, December 28, 2023

Once More, With (A Little) Less Feeling

To clean up a bit of business from the previous comment section:

I have some sensory issues related to food texture and sound. You’re not going to notice the food issues unless you bring a dish to a potluck and find me avoiding it. It’s only a handful of things – like custard-based desserts, and bananas. I am otherwise a very unpicky eater, at least flavor-wise. (I like the taste of bananas, for instance. But don’t ask me to eat one! Weird, I know…)

My reactions to certain sounds are much more noticeable: I have misophonia. I will walk away from people with extremely high-pitched voices, and if someone is chewing gum, I have been known to tell them to their faces that I find it disgusting. And song “remixes” are absolute torture to me. All of these things hurt my ears, raise my blood pressure, and sometimes even trigger a “fight or flight” response. 

So if someone’s social media style incorporates any of those elements into their online presence/persona, I will absolutely turn it off and I will not apologize for it. Most of the time I can access the information elsewhere, so it’s primarily a “me” problem, but if they make content exclusive to some of the more exuberant influencers, me and others like me may miss out, and that could be a problem in the future. 

It almost – but I don’t think quite – rises to the level of ableism. The information was not time-critical, and it was eventually available elsewhere. 

Anyway, back to actual model stuff. 

I am not entirely surprised by the selection of the Stablemates Donkey mold as the Gambler’s Choice for 2024: he’s both cute and popular. Some hobbyists are upset that he’s little, as if the amount of plastic being used has some significant bearing on his perceived value. 

The only thing that kind of weirds me out about him is that he’s one of a handful of molds who have crossed categories. He originally started out as an accessory to various Stablemates gift and play sets, but because of his popularity crossed over into being an individual release with his inclusion in the Spirit: Riding Free Blind Bags in 2017. My mind still thinks of him as an accessory.

Another model that switched/switches categories is Merrylegs: originally designed as a part of the Classic-scale Black Beauty Family Gift Set, the mold has frequently been issued as a de facto Traditional-scale Miniature Horse. 

My problem with Merrylegs, however, is entirely due to the fact that the darn thing is tipsier than The Black Stallion and Pacer combined – at least in my experience. Except for my Test Color Merrylegs, all the others I own are currently in storage to keep her from being the chaos agent that she is. 

Let’s see, I probably should open the last of this year’s shipment, Brio and Nero:

Nothing anybody hasn’t seen before; I am rather pleased that they’re continuing with the Roman Emperor naming scheme with the Draft Horses. And I like Brio a little bit more in person than the original photos, but I still think I’ll like him even more in a solid color.

This came as a complete surprise to me, and as a gift from another kindly benefactor: a Silver Charm Alborozo. I had been aware of some of the items I was being sent (which will be featured in at least one more upcoming post), but this one left me speechless:

As you know, I haven’t had the best luck even finding blind bags in these parts, much less Chase pieces, and I haven’t had any luck with throwing in random ones into some of my online orders, either. I haven’t given up so much as surrendered to my fate: if I happen to stumble upon them in my infrequent shopping excursions, that’s great, but if I don’t, I’m not going to sweat it. 

And then stuff like this happens. 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so much museum putty holding my merrylegs up

Anonymous said...

I don’t know what it would do to a collector quality horse (hoof rubs, I’m sure), but I have found hot glue applied carefully to the bottoms of certain hooves to be effective corrective shoeing for the unstable models in our collection. Many are purely toy quality - their only real value being the love of two generations of little girls. Still, might be helpful if it’s one with nostalgic value you’d never get rid of, and you’d like to be able to move it around for (dis)play.

Anonymous said...

Unsolicited Breyer Heloise again to say: the ear and muzzle pinking on the Silver Charm are my favorite thing about it! Nice… real nice!

Anonymous said...

OH NO!! Oh No!! I was afraid that the comments on your last post would be looked at as an attack on you Andrea-- and for my part, NOTHING can be further than the truth!!
I want to sincerely apologize to you Andrea if it appears that I was attacking and / or insulting you in ANY way!! I totally understand about health issues and to me, those are a totally different issues from someone who just wants to complain (and ruin other's enjoyment!)
While true everyone has a right to their opinion on any subject matter, it comes to a point where sometimes it seems as though a line gets crossed when you
stoop to having to be insulting just to get your point across! There has to be better ways!! There just has to be!!
With that, I will ask your forgiveness. (And either return to just lurking or follow my own advice and watch what I say as well!)

Anonymous said...

Man! Your readers like you!! A lot!! (l wish someone would gift me a Chase piece! I've given up hoping to find/get any more--especially since our local Walmart's have stopped carrying Breyers!) But--*boy* is that silver Alborozo nice! Congratulations!!
Ewww--I'm with you on bananas!
Aren't those gambler's choices cute?? I hope I get the pinto or the dark brown one.( I'm kinda "meh" on the other 2 choices)
I dunno. Is it me or does Brio look more Spanish than he does a Mustang?(I didn't think mustangs had Roman noses?) Nero looks nice too!

ANDREA said...

No offense taken; I just wanted people to be a little more mindful, and consider that when someone says "I can't watch this", it's not necessarily because they think it's bad or stupid, but maybe because they have legitimate reasons why they can't.

A lot of hobbyists have a bad habit of going off on tangents. or reading more into a situation than what is actually there, and I just wanted to nip this one in the bud.

As long as the information presented in these videos is (a) not time-sensitive and (b) made available immediately, or almost immediately afterwards in other formats, there shouldn't be a problem at all. I am just a little concerned, because Reeves is already doing that with some information via Facebook.

(My friends can tell you that I am dead serious about the gum, though. Even thinking about it... ugh.)

Anonymous said...

I am one of the commentors who can't listen to her either. But I too battle misophonia. It can be hell for me.

I have a real trouble with some voices tones. I too have to walk away. People chewing anything I just can't. Christmas dinner made me twitch. I wanted to almost scream, you can't scrape the color off the damn plate.

For those who can't understand the every day battle we face, count yourself blessed. I try I so try but there are some things that nope I need to leave now.

And as Andrea said if simple information can be found elsewhere it's one less battle needed.

SmartAlex said...

I don't think I have misophonia and that YouTuber drives me insane. I can't even pretend to be, like, 13 again OMG! LOL! Hearts and sparkles squeeee!

Gag me with a spoon.

Corky said...

I like Brio a LOT, and that Silver Charm Alborozo -!!! Happy New Year!

Suzanne said...

Yay!!! Glad he found a good home!

Hmm, now I feel a little bad that I was perhaps harsh on that video...although I haven't changed my opinion- and hey, it is worth listening to criticism.

Ha, yeah, I have a couple co-workers who are extremely talkative. It took a long time for me to stop feeling irritated just at the sound of their voices. I can't tune them out, but at least now I'm past the point where all I can think is "jeez won't they ever shut up?" :^D

Anonymous said...

Oh I have nights at work when I can't tune the jabbering out. Mostly I can since the machines are super loud.

ANDREA said...

I also have some extremely talkative and extroverted coworkers; fortunately for me, my job requires me to be pretty much on the go all the time (I get my steps in!), so I can justifiably walk away if I need to, most of the time.

Anonymous said...

Sadly I am stuck in the same spot with the same 6 other people all night. One is a know it all on everything except lol old westerns. "Well what was Gene Autrys dogs name if the horse was Trigger?" This was seriously the other night. That was what caught my attention. And then didn't believe it was Roy's Horse and Dog.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha!! This is cute!! Thank you for the chuckle! (Altho I sympathize with you being stuck with "know it alls")
You could always come over to my house! We could watch the old black and white "Rawhide", "Wagon Train" and similar shows together --if you would like! I love the old Westerns!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't apologize for not loving the SM club polo pony reveal. With doing that, Breyer is making everyone go to that YouTuber's channel to watch, including adults. She is definitely not for everyone, I tried watching a few videos and it's all the same with every video "OMG I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! IT'S SOOOOO CUTE". Every time. I know with this kind, you would be required to love it. There are youtubers who analyze new releases and can honestly say "Meh, not for me. But others may like it". Funny thing is I was standing in line at Equilocity a couple people back behind this girl and she acted like a calm human being. She seems like a nice person, but the hyperness on the video is a bit much. And really, it's Breyer who is subjecting everyone to it.

Anonymous said...

So...what kind of plastic do you think the donkey will be made from? All the other versions have been made from different plastic than the ABS from what I can tell. Do you think they will keep it the same or made them from tenite?

Six said...

Feeling you on noise sensitivity-- the more tired I am, the worst mine is. After a day of work in the noisy old hospital I frequently don't even want to hear music I like, so video content without captioning may as well not exist to me.

That's not nearly as big an issue to me as the strong dominance video instructions/tutorials hold in uhm, every hobby and repair sphere right now though. Still shots and text people, please!

Some things are more easily shown in motion. I'm all for 360 spins of new molds, and repeating gifs showing how to perform a certain brushstroke or braid or not break the computer part you're trying to attach. But purely audio/video content is not the best delivery method for much. I still haven't watched that unboxing and won't. I can accept that content wasn't for me-- but Breyer dropped the ball a smidge by not including a more tired-old-adult friendly release, too. We're not fussy. We will take the usual picture and a blurb.

That silver charm is a beautiful one! Funnily enough, my 'I guess I'm buying my CC membership so I may as well get a horse' purchase is his current regular release. I should probably let him out of the box.

Anonymous said...

Not here. I absolutely refuse to watch. The constant social media garbage while neglecting to actually post to the clubs and website is a real turnoff.

PixelPerfectStables said...

I totally get the misophonia issue - I also have it, mostly averse to chewing/food/mouth type noises but there are certain people I can't stand the speaking and/or singing voice of. I absolutely respect not wanting to be involved with certain folks or situations due to that. I know how irrational and intense it feels but it is completely valid, it's not like we can "fix" how we feel, only pushing though pain if we must be exposed to what we cannot stand. I sincerely hope that my comments on the last post were not taken as an affront to anyone who doesn't want to watch for that reason, or for any other mental health or physical health reasons.

I only took issue with the suggestion that Infinity is not a "real hobbyist" because of how she participates and her social following. It's fine to not watch for whatever reason you have, and to wish that Breyer would add more folks to the "influencer" roster who have a wider array of presentation styles. I think that would be fantastic, honestly. Something for everyone is more likely to reach more hobbyists.

However, it is certainly out of line to insult someone personally just because you don't like their style, don't agree with how they conduct themselves in the hobby when none of that is directly hurting you or anyone else. That's too far.

Andrea, congratulations on the chase piece! What a beautiful gift <3

Anonymous said...

I would like to see other hobbiests also have a chance at promoting. Not just her.