Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Kindness

My apologies for my absence: in addition to the back problems, I have also acquired a cold. I am significantly better today than yesterday, but it will be a couple more days before I’m back to my sassier self.

The biggest bummer is that I have been unable to work on any of my various quilting projects: the motivation and inspiration are there, but the Nyquil has been putting the kibosh on my ability to get anything meaningful done.  

I was also not selected from the alleged waitlist for Garret. I think it’s the predictability of it that’s bothering me more than anything; it reminds me of elementary school gift exchanges and door prizes, when I was so often the last person picked from the random draws that by the sixth grade I had begun to dread it.

The only time this terrible superpower worked for me was when a friend of mine held a live show and the last door prize selected was actually the best: I don’t think she knew my history with such things, but it definitely made my day, and I will never forget that kindness.

And speaking of kindness, thank you for the offers to sell your Garrets at cost to me; I’m fine, really. I prefer to have my collection grow organically, and it’s clearly not meant to be right now anyway: it’s been a very good year otherwise, and I really need to focus on selling more and buying less. 

For those of you still in the mood to buy more, the Collector’s Club Appreciation Sale is tomorrow, offering the same assortment of models they offered earlier in the year. The WinterFest Trueno and Mouse are also still available while supplies last. 

I am baffled and a little saddened that there were collectors buying Trueno and Mouse secondhand even during the initial sale period. Have collectors become so conditioned to assume that every purchase requires a Collector’s Club membership that they assumed these did as well? 

Always do your research, people; it does not always help, but it never hurts.

And that’s about all the energy I have today; I need to save a little for work.

2 comments:

Corky said...

This has nothing to do with model horses, but -- I was at a SF con in the 1990s where a charitable organization (it had something to do with saving big cats, I think) was holding a raffle. One of the items in the raffle was an autographed book by Ray Bradbury. I bought a ton of tickets, and when it was time for the drawing, I waited tensely for the draw. One, two, three people were drawn, and my heart sank -- but strangely, **none of them went for the Bradbury book!** I was the fourth person drawn, and you probably wouldn't believe how fast I went up front to grab the Bradbury book!

So yeah, sometimes not being the first person drawn is good. :)

Kiri said...

I have a question: have you ever found any really weird PAFs? I think those guys are really cool!