Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Day Ramblings

Alas, I did not win the (char)Coal lottery this year. In fact, I received my least favorite of the four attainable colors, the Red Filigree:

Meh, oh well. It’s been a pretty good year model-wise, I guess I shouldn’t complain; I need to save my luck for Oklahoma City, right? 

I will say that I do like the sparkly-glittery paint they used on these guys, and will look forward to seeing it on other molds more to my liking in the future – maybe something a little more vintage? I could definitely use a few more Five-Gaiters in my life, for instance…

I am a little baffled that some people are mad that the Coal is not solid glossy black? My guess is that since the Huckleberry Bey mold has come in several Black and Black-adjacent colors (my favorite being the lovely Polaris!) that they wanted to go with something a little more Decorator-y, and Charcoal was the logical choice.

I know he is not a “true” Charcoal – his hooves are gray, not pink or tan, and he has no bald face, either – but it works on him, and I’d take him in a heartbeat (as would most people lucky enough to receive one.) Especially since I only have a handful of Hucks here – including two variations of the Celebration Horse Atlantis Bey V, and Polaris.

As it is, I’m not quite sure what to do with my Wassail; I am elbow deep in quilting projects at the moment (I just finished one, yay!) and selling things just isn’t that big a priority for me for the next several months, and I do not have energy enough to arrange a trade. 

This is also why I decided to not take the plunge on the latest Grab Bags. Some of the stuff in them is better than the past few rounds – like SM Club models, Web and Store Specials, and Chadwick, et al – but adding more to my sales pile was a definite turn off. 

Hmm, that reminds me – I still need to renew my Stablemates Club subscription! The latest reveal – a G3 Thoroughbred named Dylan in that same, peculiar new style of dappling first seen on Anamar – isn’t necessarily my cup of tea, but I like the rest of the releases so far, so rejoining is a no-brainer.  

However, I would like to register a formal complaint about the unboxing video for the Polo Pony release Newport. It was unwatchable!

Due to my schedule and my lifestyle, my consumption of social media is currently limited to YouTube videos of hoarder house cleanups and crafting drama. (You think model horse drama is bad? Yarn drama will destroy you!) While I’ve sampled some model horse social media on occasion, I’ve found most of it way too intense and hyperbolic for my tastes. 

Yes, I know some of it is that this content is tailored to a younger audience’s sensibilities and not mine. I also have some minor sensory issues related to certain sounds, and most of the information that can be gleaned from it can be found elsewhere, so I tend to avoid most of it out of habit. Since it was basically a new mold reveal, I thought I’d try to stick it out. 

But seriously, I had to tap out about 15 seconds into it and go looking for screen shots. That... was bad.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seen a still of that unboxing and went nope not watching.

I honestly would have loved the coal this year to be dappled black. OMG that would have been the BEST!

What do your variations on the Huck mold look like.

I only have Polaris, matte Black Tie and Glossy prize Black Tie. Not a big fan of that mold.

L. Robinson said...

I agree it’s hard to watch even with the sound muted. I understand that’s her shtick but it’s too much for many in the hobby. It’s like she’s downed a handful of speed with 5-6 energy drinks. It’s possible to be excited & enthusiastic without being loud & hyper. Either tone it down or get another influencer to do these reveals. How effective can it be to have a reveal few want to watch? These club models are geared towards adult collectors but being loud & hyper is more often used to capture & hold the attention of young children. Social media influencers & Breyer need to know their target audience better & adjust their methods & messages accordingly.

M said...

My Wassail came in the solid red. I seem to have similarly un-good luck in the Gambler's Choices this year. There's always a market after the fact.

I ended up just scrolling through the unboxing to find the point where it actually came out of the box. I loathe unboxing and haul videos for pretty much any reason.

Yarn drama is the best drama.

Yvonne said...

I too, had a hard time with the unboxing video, but I put her on mute and I skipped ahead, saw the model, and then ran for it!

Anonymous said...

O my gosh!! Will it never stop??!!! The whining about Breyer to do more reveals and then the complaining about which models/colors they are when they do????
Now people are starting to complain about reveal videos?? Really?? Does nothing make you people happy?? Or have you forgotten what that means?? What about gratitude people?? (All the horrible things that are happening to other people in the world and during the holiday season, you can't find something to be joyful about in a hobby that's supposed to be enjoyable???)
For myself I'm grateful that there are some people who are enthusiastic and optimistic about life and things!! ( It sure as heck beats reading the same ol' same ol' on Facebook!) If you don't like something, can you do it better??
A New Year will be beginning soon. Is there any way that we could start it off with a better attitude than what's been expressed so far this year?? I for one will be thankful!

Anonymous said...

How about having an actual hobbyist do a reveal video instead of Romper Room types of "influencer"? That would make an interesting video instead of the sickly stuff.

Anonymous said...

Actually yes, there are PLENTY of people who could do it better without reducing collectors to being treated like 4 year olds with these sorts of advertising.

Corky said...

I thought it was interesting that Breyer said the Wassails would have a bald face -- yet they're solid-faced!

PixelPerfectStables said...

Ok, whoa, while yes the energy may be too much for some people, to call someone "not a hobbyist" just because they have a large following on social media and a large portion of their audience happens to be kids & teens? Really? That is just awful. Trinity is just as much a hobbyist as any of the rest of us. And we WANT younger people to find Breyers and get involved in the hobby! Given that there are fewer physical stores carrying Breyer these days, it makes sense that Breyer is trying to keep up with how kids or teens may be more likely to discover the brand - through social media.

Can we all please be more kind to each other in 2024? The drama is seriously getting old. Thank you Anonymous on the 27th for echoing that sentiment as well!

Anonymous said...

Amen to this!! I was just going to post something similar but you said it perfectly PixelPerfect!
While I kinda understand why some might take issue with Trinity's approach(being an older more mature person) how else would you suggest that you appeal to the younger newer collectors??
Coming across too monotone or droll or serious probably wouldn't hold anyone's attention for too long! I really believe Breyer is trying their hardest to be all inclusive- and being all inclusive means showing everyone how much fun it is to be involved--right???

Anonymous said...

That over-the-top style is used on toddlers & preschoolers, not tweens & teens. There’s no need to be THAT energetic to engage with 10-20 yr olds. There has to be a good median between loud, hyper & annoying - droll, sated & boring.
On second thought, most 10-20 yr old have spent their entire lives glued to social media & have the attention spans of gnats as a result so perhaps the loud, ultra-hyper & over-the-top is needed to keep their attention.

TxMiniatureHorse said...

This! So many hobbyists would love to do this!

I'm not good with loud, flashy, gushy videos. If you have to, do two videos - one for the youth, one for the collectors. See which one gets the most hits.

Anonymous said...

As Andrea posted in her next post...

Some of us battle misophonia and just literally can't with some voice tones and noise.

I don't know the gal past any of that because I just can't when the information can be had elsewhere.

No different than people with other issues.

And I love say the food network.... But nope I can't when people start eating the food.

Suzanne said...

I did watch the first minute or so of the unboxing video. Then I scrolled ahead to see the little guys. No, I don't think the video did them justice.

Anonymous stated that it is frivolous to criticize such enthusiasm, because it is the holiday season and we have much to be grateful for, when there is so much misery in the world. I retort that because these are troubled times, and we are aware that we are blessed, we ought to conduct ourselves with Dignity, not a clueless, manic energy. There!

Also I think Wassail's petite features would look good with a bald face!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see other hobby community members allowed to participate in making these videos.

Anonymous said...

Hmm-- I hope I'm not misinterpreting you- but I'm wondering if you're missing the point?? Did you even read PixelPerfect 's comments because she stated the issue beautifully!
Don't think the comment was meant to be "frivalous" -but more that, if you really believe and know that you are blessed, that you share your blessings with others(and not keep it just for yourself)when and where you can(and not just necessarily during the holiday times!) Same thing as when you're OK with yourself, you tend to be more compassionate and less critical of others. I believe that's all that was asked ! That we try to be kinder to each because the world is so troubled--maybe that's what they need to see more of??
Heh!! Don't know if you have daughters or nieces in the 10-16 yr. old range -but I do!! And believe me--they're in that goofy stage and don't know anything about dignity! Haha! As mentioned, Breyer is trying to be more inclusive--so their approach may not appeal to us more mature collectors--but as Andrea and others have said, there's other ways of getting the information. (With as many subscribers as Trinity has, I doubt that she's "clueless")
The one thing I learned through everyone's comments(and I apologize for) is not considering that health issues could play into how others react to different situations. To me, that's a whole different ball of wax compared to the ones who just want to complain and ruin other's enjoyment. Like you, I won't change my opinion about that!
As mentioned, a New Year is about to begin. My wish remains the same-- that we find a way to be kinder to each other! For myself, I plan to be more considerate and thoughtful in how I respond to others.

Anonymous said...

How is triggering a disorder and immediately turning off the more mature half of the hobby being inclusive? If hobbyists have to go to other sources to get the info because they can’t stand to watch the reveal video that is not inclusive. It’s exclusive.
If the followers of this influencer are in their teens and twenties but still require someone to behave in such a manner in order to hold their interest then I weep for the future. If a young adult still finds they need presentations to be loud, hyper and gushing, especially when the presentation is giving information on a subject they are truly interested in, then it’s obvious they have not matured mentally or emotionally. In all honesty, if someone loves Breyer models enough to watch hobby influencers then it’s obvious there is plenty of interest in the subject, so there’s no need to be shrill and hyper in order to keep their attention. You’ve got their attention by simply talking about the models and giving them information they would like.
My children are thirteen and fifteen and they love animals, especially horses and dogs, so between that and their mom being a collector, they are involved in the model horse hobby but they do not like the reveals and videos done by Infinity Breyer because “she’s too much”. They prefer Breyer Trot, Stormy Strikes and Lonesome Glory.