Thursday, November 16, 2023

Whatnots

Nothing makes you feel old like shopping for store brand Ben-gay at the grocery store.

On the other hand, with it I’ve been able to get a decent night’s sleep with it for the past two days, though the dreams are beyond weird. Like playing hide-and-seek in a multidimensional furniture store weird. 

I’ll take it, I guess. 

What I won’t be taking? A trip to Denver in March. Tickets for BreyerWest go on sale today (I double checked this time, LOL). Flights are expensive, the exclusive special – a Gloss Harkness – is nice but nothing I can’t live without, and my presence is not required, so I am giving it a pass. 

(It’s a little more complicated than that, but nothing else you need to know.)

I think too many hobbyists are overthinking the fact that the Swirls & Snowflakes Stablemates are still available. They probably made more due to historical demand – remember that some previous iterations of them sold out in hours – and I also think the hobby in general is experiencing blind bag fatigue. 

The general public likes blind bags just fine, but the Christmas ones are targeted toward active collectors, and I think most of us would like the option – if possible – of buying a complete set and being done with it. Designate a certain amount of them as sets, sell the rest as individuals, the end. 

For me, personally, it’s also because (in case you haven’t noticed!) I’ve been acquiring a crazy amount of rarities, Test Colors and Grails: things I have wanted for years, sometime decades. Things like that trump items that I found out about a week or two ago. My money is also not infinite: I have to draw the line somewhere.

And now there’s a Test Color/Oddity Lady Roxana on eBay that’s caught my eye. Like I need another Test Color, yikes… She’s not even a BreyerFest Auction piece or anything. I already have a Sample Roxana, on the Sahara release. And a Preproduction Test of Roxana on the Sham…

Yes, I have a lot of Tests, Samples, Oddities and Whatnots. Probably not quite as many as Reeves does, but I’m hesitant to get them out for a group shot and put that theory to the test. (No pun intended!)

Finally, I found this link on another (non-horsey) blog I frequent, and I thought I would be something of interest to at least a few of you; consider it an early Christmas present:

https://go.nasa.gov/MessageInABottle


5 comments:

Kiri said...

Wherever that Roxanna winds up, I hope they put her on IDYB. She's so pretty and I wish she could live with me.

Christi said...

I actually only bought 2 of the Holiday blind bags this time, and was iffy about buying those. Not sure why, except that metallic-with-glitter-swirls just seems a bit uninspired. Or maybe I'm just needing a vacation, and working retail before Christmas is doing me in.

Pam N. said...

Kiri, I agree! I think I like this version of Lady Roxanna better than any RR.

And Christi, yeah, for me it was “do I need to pay $25 for a stablemate?” (Answer: No.)

Anonymous said...

I'm obviously not a serious Stablemate collector.......but I just won't pay $25 for a Stablemate. The only ones I would consider paying that for are the old, old guys on the black blister cards. They are probably worth $25. But a brand new blind bag, no thanks. $25 is half-way to a Traditional, which I would enjoy a lot more! I do think the colors are nice though......very much like vintage Christmas ornaments, which I like.

Anonymous said...

I thought about getting 1-2 of the Blind Bags this year for my daughter’s stocking, but the only one I think we would really want is the red jumper - pretty sporty! At the $25 price tag, I just don’t see the value when we would likely end up with the Schleich-like trotting WB or the tippy Hanoverian. We also probably exhausted our Blind Bag mojo at TSC when we carefully palpated and got the Smoky Black PPaso. Plus, we just like to play with these things too much at this stage.

I have always really liked Lady Roxana. If you read the chapter about her arrival in King of the Wind, I think the mold captures her flirtatious femininity so well. The ability to portray the trot was borderline revolutionary! However, if her left eye can look really weird depending on how how it is painted. Every Cinnamon made looked super silly, for that reason, and so many others. The test in bay is beautiful! I like that she has that semi-lumpy early version look - I find that endearing, as my collection has a bunch from the 80s in it. I hope YOU can get her, Andrea!

I’d take another flaxen M&T chestnut like I had, because I think my kid would see the same magic in her that I did. I gave mine away when it looked like I’d never have a youngster to pass her to, and the kid had an Arab pony that looked similar to that release. THAT little girl loved the model!