Sunday, November 19, 2023

Cooler Things

It just amuses and baffles me that I can’t “win” 1000-piece Special Runs, but Test Colors, 50-piece runs, and things other hobbyists are like “what, they made that?” No problemo!

(Yeah, still no Vail. At this point I’m just laughing and shaking my head about it.)

The Bay Lady Roxana has soared past my upper bidding limit; but that’s fine: I went and bought some box lots on the Internet for less that are probably worth more; I’ll find out by the end of the week!

So here’s another cool thing I have been looking for for an insanely long time:

As you might have guessed – because it’s me we’re talking about here – this is no ordinary Family Arabian Foal. Check out the location of her mold mark!

(Just above the drip mark.)

The belly-stamped Foals are obviously very early; in fact, I think they represent the “first state” of the mold, before any of the multitude of other changes were made to it. 

The Family Arabian Foal was likely Breyer’s most popular and in-demand mold through the 1960s and a large portion of the 1970s, and because of the wear and tear of near-constant production, it went through many repairs and revisions. So many, in fact, that with a little extra research, we could probably create a pretty accurate year-by-year timeline of the changes.

(Sorry folks, I do not have the time for that right now!)

Looking for a belly-stamped FAF has been awkward, to say the least, and is complicated by the fact that the best place you would think to find something like this – BreyerFest – has also become one of the less likely. Unless it’s a Test Color, Oddity, Rare SR, New in Box or another known rare variation (like the Sorrels), people don’t bring Family Arabians to sell, because they’re old-fashioned, common and allegedly boring. 

Fortunately, on places like eBay, a lot of sellers don’t know or don’t care: they just want to make a sale. The more diligent ones do what sellers selling items outside of their comfort zone usually do: they photograph everything, including the location of the mold marks. 

Although there are instances where the presence or absence of certain mold marks is historically important, usually it isn’t, so most of us roll our eyes when we see that photo included in a listing. Yeah, I already know that’s a Breyer, doofus.

But in this case, it’s what made the difference for me. I immediately saw it and jumped on it like a cat on a can of tuna. 

I’m beginning to wonder if the FAF was the first – or one of the first – molds to receive the mold mark, before they decided that putting it on the inside hind leg was the way to go. The change happened very quickly, and before they revised the curled eartips: curled eartip FAFs with the standard leg stamp are a little uncommon, but not super-rare. 

(The Shetland Pony also received a belly-stamp around the same time, but it never got removed or repositioned).

Theoretically, the Belly Stamp Foals should only exist in the original four Family Arabian/Old Mold colors: Alabaster, Bay, Woodgrain and Gray Appaloosa. Palomino and Charcoal didn’t show up until later; how much later I am not sure, but I do know I still haven’t found any evidence of Palomino or Charcoal FAFs with the curled eartips.

I haven’t done a comprehensive, point-by-point study of the Foal to figure out what else was changed or corrected from the first state of the mold to the second. Having a sample size of only one is also not helpful, because you don’t know if the variations are the result of a molding or production change, or just something idiosyncratic to that particular Foal.

The Foal’s legs are definitely not in the same places as most of my later examples, but that could just mean the cooling boards weren’t ready yet and everything was assembled by hand, as was the case with the original In-Between Mares around the same time.

Even though Breyer had been producing horses for nearly a decade by the time this Foal was manufactured, she does feel a little – primitive? Maybe they had rush orders to fill, and even though they didn’t have a production process or even all the equipment “ready”, they just got them done by any means necessary?

(I work in a production facility: some of the crazy stuff we do to get product out the door...)

The real question, though, is this: just how rare are these Foals numerically

Well, the first problem here is that we don’t have any production records from this period to establish a lower limit. We also have to consider that the mold change happened very early, maybe/likely after the first production run; this first production run could have even been a test batch! It’s been over sixty years now since they were produced, so a lot of them have gone to the model horse graveyard by now, too. 

So my guess (and experience!) would say that unless several come out of the woodwork like the Woodgrain Old Mold Foal did, I’d say she was pretty rare. I do think these Foals are probably a little more common than we realize, because most hobbyists have been unaware of this variation’s existence, until now. And now they will look!

I’d love to have a complete set of four, but I’m happy with just the one, for now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I question that Bay Roxanna. Her stripe to me looks far more faux OF or whatever they are called than Breyer created.

Anonymous said...

What a fun post!

Suzanne said...

Nice find!! I did take a chance on a FAF that was the older style grey appaloosa, but no luck. Honestly if I wasn't so bad about getting rid of surplus ponies, I'd try to again, but...

The leg position variations are interesting, I've wondered how intentional they are. Some look about to step forward, and some look like they're struggling to stay upright, legs sprawled!

timaru star ii said...

I had no idea the FAF could do this. I've never seen it, and my collection goes back to the early 60s. So cool!! and congrats.

The leg position is explained by the passage of time, in my humble opinion. Easy to straighten out (again in my humble opinion).

PixelPerfectStables said...

I love that the Family Arabs are a lot more complex than we used to realize! I've long had a soft spot for the original colors (including palomino & charcoal) in particular, so I love learning the extended history about them. This woodgrain foal is not the only woodgrain oddity in the family - some FAS like mine are missing the mold stamp, which I assume would mean they were either sold with with PAM & PAF in 1959 or possibly alone during the short window of the H-R suit as well - given that the mold marks were introduced in 1960. While they are likely not quite as rare as the PAM/PAF, they're still way rarer than a typical woodgrain FAS that actually has a mold stamp, and IMO they are definitely not given enough attention or merit rarity wise.

Anonymous said...

Here’s two posts about the FAF
https://sputtermoobreyers.wordpress.com/category/all-posts/

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article, I recognized the belly mark on my woodgrain 5 gaiter. It’s clearly a big circular blob that seems filed down and painted over. You thoughts please! I will try to email mail pics to look at.

ANDREA said...

The blob is just a yellowed paint drip from the clear topcoat; most matte finished models from the 1960s and 1970s have them.

Suzanne said...

I'll bet they relocated the mold mark because on the belly, it got partly removed when they filed down the seams. As for his legs, it seems like his left foreleg is bent at the knee, not randomly. That's what I meant by about to step forward. Funny little guy...It's a good day to look at pics of FAFs :^)

Kiri said...

Speaking of oddness, a glossy Bay ASB stablemate popped up on Facebook that I feel a lot better about than that Lady Roxanna! You're right, Anonymous, her face just did not look right to me and it didn't justify the price she went for. She might well be a particularly nice vintage custom. The Lady Roxanna just didn't look "real" on closer inspection.

The stablemate, on the other hand, has that OF look (at least to me!). Isn't it funny the amount of oddity Breyers that can pop up if you look?