Monday, November 13, 2023

The Latest in Hamiltons

If you are wondering if the time change helped with my sleep patterns, the answer is the same as me getting drawn for a Vail: that would be a No.

In lieu of stronger medications (there is a family history of sleepwalking: I am NOT mixing Ambien with that!) I’ll probably ramp up my quilting and sewing activities, in the hopes that the peace of mind that comes from completed projects will help.

I am more or less okay with the Vail: the past month has been a bit on the expensive side (a minor but necessary car repair, an unexpected dental bill, things on eBay I shouldn’t be buying but were unlikely to show up ever again) and there are a couple of things I need to save up for, including a space heater for the garage and a new phone. 

Consequently, the Swirls and Snowflakes Stablemates that have been rescheduled for Tuesday Monday are now completely out of the question for me.

Since I am so very, very close to finishing a one of those aforementioned projects (to a certain stage, anyway) I’ll just give you all a better shot of my Gloss Buckskin Pinto Stagecoach Surprise Hamilton:

Aside from being the first Gloss I’ve pulled from the actual ticket line since… 2012, egads – he also appears to be nigh-perfect. I’ve been looking for a good Hamilton to add to my showstring for a while, and I think he might be the guy, in spite of the fact that Buckskin Pintos generally aren’t my preference. He’s just so nice in person! (The shading on his other side is even better.)

He isn’t the rarest color of the bunch by far – that would have been the Decorator, followed by the Dapple Gray – but as I’ll likely be showing him more in Breed than Collectibility, the argument is irrelevant. 

The first Stagecoach Surprise I pulled was the Matte Dapple Gray; I remember looking at him and thinking he’s probably the “rare” one, because I almost always pull the rarest Matte. But I was not particularly enamored of the color on him. So I immediately traded him for a Matte Black Pinto, which I felt suited him much more, and who also turned out to be the most common Matte.

Even after the Dapple Gray’s relative “rarity” was confirmed a while later, I was untroubled by my decision. I’d rather have something I like that’s more common, than something I dislike that’s more rare. 

Within reason: at this point, my collection is almost a refuge for all the ugly, weird Test Colors and Oddities the rest of the hobby has deemed “undesirable”. And I just caught myself looking at some inexpensive NIB Mesteno sets the other day, and it wasn’t just the ones with Duchess in them; my recent experimentation with them has piqued a certain curiosity...

(I did buy something cool and rare yesterday, but it wasn’t a Mesteno.)

8 comments:

PixelPerfectStables said...

CC access for the SM blind bags starts at 1 PM today (Monday), open to the public sometime on Tuesday if they haven't sold out by then. Assuming that there are no additional website glitches or other delays. At least they started on these early this year so the delay isn't so bad.

Anonymous said...

I get so very tired of some "hobby" people when something has no value to them until hey hear it's "rare" and then omg they need to get their mits on it.

And these black Morgan's that people happily traded away for the model they actually wanted. No are fuming because the Horse they had no interest in owning, but now OMG but but but they could have lined their pockets event more.

I would have simply shrugged and said well I got the trade I wanted, that I'm more pleased to have. Because I didn't like that one in the first place.

I mean I've traded models off that now have a huge value and oh well I have the model I wanted from that trade.

I just get so sick of the "rare" Breyer craze. Most don't even want the actual model, they just want it for the run amount made.

ANDREA said...

Oops! That's what I get for taking pain meds before I finish a post. (Back problems, ugh.)

Anonymous said...

Hope you find a way to get that sleep without having to do drugs, Andrea!(My problem is I tend to sleep a little too much--maybe because of inactivity!)
I like your buckskin pinto! I've seen quite a few at "live" shows too! The only thing that I don't care for is the metallic sheen in the coat(but I 'm working on buying one myself!) One of these days, I hope I can add a matte dapple Grey to the conga as well!
I also agree with your statement about the so called "rare" models. Until the breakdown was released, I, too, was hoping I'd be able to buy the solid black one(as I don't belong to the VC)--but now that it's known, it's like "Oh well! Maybe someday down the road I'll be able to find one!" Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about--Be glad for the people who got one and are willing to share and keep believing that your time will come!

Pam N. said...

Yes, this is me! “Something I like that’s common, rather than something I don’t like that’s rare.”

Lupa said...

As far as I'm concerned, a test run is a test run. I would love to have my hands on any of them, just to have one, regardless of mold (though I have a fondness for vintage tests.)

Anonymous said...

Do you wonder if Breyer knew the hijinx that would immediately begin, and did the split this way on purpose? Or do you think they actually thought the solid face would be the least desirable… and then decided to control the market, and decree that darn it, now it WILL be the favorite son!
OR, could it be based on approximate breakdowns of the run on the Stretch Morgan? Andrea (and more of you who have probably had the original Morgan pass through your hands over and over) might have an answer for that question. My conspiracy theory idea is that they finally ran out of black paint, after ALL the black and black/white releases they’ve had over the last 2-3 years! 😆

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this mold quite from the angle you gave us. His RF suspensory is taking a beating. There’s a lot to like, but that hurts me to see. A lot of ASBs do suffer from long pasterns, suspensory desmitis, and forelimb lameness that likes fetlock injections. If art reflects life, I see repeated injuries and retirement to stud - or Academy (with little bit of Dorm so the junior rider can show him without being crippled or killed). I’m surprised by the exaggeration in the model, but he does evoke quite a feeling. I can almost hear the organ playing.