Friday, November 3, 2023

Pretty Chestnuts

As you know, I’ve had a hard time warming up to the Dundee mold, but I think next year’s BreyerFest Celebration Horse is one I will keep: that is a very pretty shade of chestnut, and I do like minimal pintos:

I’ve been watching a lot archaeological documentaries lately (hello insomnia, my old friend), so when I hear the phrase “Athenian lady”, all I can think of is how the actual ladies of Ancient Athens were the opposite of empowered.

I know it’s just a play on one of the goddess’s many names and I am reading way too much into it; ‘tis the curse of being a history nerd. 

Her story is (fortunately) not as sentimental as a lot of horse stories tend to be. I am not immune to sentimentality, but The Hallmark Channel doesn’t get a lot of airtime in my house, either. 

(As far as the rescue angle is concerned – I am not touching that with a 50-foot pole and a Hazmat suit. All I will say on the matter publicly is that the enemy of your enemy is not your friend.)

I also really like the latest Test Run offering, who is also a lovely shade of chestnut with just a little bit of extra white:

I was just thinking that if I ever got the notion of entering another Collector’s Class at BreyerFest (definitely NOT next year!) I’d want to do a “Hooked on Classics” Test theme, especially since I have… a lot of Classic Test Colors. A documented “Archival” Test would made a very nice addition to that potential entry, since the rest of mine are technically undocumented. 

I’d also like something in Appaloosa and something in Gloss, too, for variety’s sake, but I also know those are even longer shots than this fellow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many chestnut Dundees and bay Trakehners does the hobby need??? BORING!

Anonymous said...

As someone who likes horses that are alive, a talented - or just well mannered and hard-trying - sorrel or bay is welcome in my tack any day. If the hobby reflects actual (boring) horse populations, maybe that’s a good thing, so people appreciate the real thing. A different spin on your idea of boring.

Anonymous said...

Another “hobbyist” who does nothing but diss Breyer & models. BORING!!!

Anonymous said...

totally agree

Anonymous said...

I still wish it would have been Endo. But oh well, I doubt I will attend anyway again.

Carrie said...

Athenian Lady is a quite nice model and is attainable for most people. I will get her (I attend online Breyerfest.) unless the Stablemates are amazingly better.

Anonymous said...

I thought Neville Bardos would be a good one, too.