Sunday, April 16, 2023

More, or Less?

Enjoying a momentary respite here: the taxes are done, the seeds have been started, and (most) of the financial paperwork I wanted to wrap up has been… wrapped up. Nothing I need to get done can get done until tomorrow, other than some stray e-mails that I am procrastinating about.

I was going to write up a more full-bodied explanation of my reasoning surrounding the likelihood of the early Family Arabian Special Runs, but the initial dive into my research materials left my head spinning. So instead, let’s focus on something that is both less – and more – of a mystery:

As I mentioned many, many years ago, I picked up this Western Horse at Model Horse Congress back in 1985 or 1986, which was both significantly before the Just About Horses Special Run Palomino Pinto from 1990, and well after the Regular Run release #56, which was discontinued in 1966. 

The fact that he is essentially unfinished (the black paint is very obviously not factory original, in person) and without his original reins tells me he was a Cull, and the fact that that particular shade of Matte Neon Palomino was typical of models from the early 1980s suggests he “escaped” from the factory not long before I had purchased him. 

Even curiouser: the pinto mask/stencil used to create him was also last used in production over ten years earlier!

(I cannot remember if the saddle was a replacement, or came with. Probably a replacement.)

I didn’t think too much about how truly odd he is until recently, though: in fact, he really is one of the weirdest things in my collection. Had he been a very early Test for the JAH release that was shelved? A frivolity that the one of the painters played around with? Were they training, or giving a painting demonstration of how those metal masks worked, with the Western Horse simply being the most convenient test subject? 

Most of the random Test Color Western Horses I see tend to be of the solid variety, and also usually complete. I am presuming he was either an Employee Take-Home, or a model Marney salvaged from the factory as a body. 

Bodies that also happened to be Test Colors, or other such rarities were not that uncommon back then, by the way. The bodies that always freaked me out were the Special Run Culls: I remember seeing a few of the Chestnut Midnight Sun that absolutely messed with my head. 

It’s a body, but it’s also a Rare Special Run! Argh, my brain!

It was not that big a deal for most other hobbyists (who were just happy for the cheap bodies) but now I wonder just how much something like that would go for today, in its original state. Crazy bucks, more than likely; I even remember some of us speculating about that possibility back then. And laughing about it....

Another question I have been asking myself about him lately is: should I restore him? I am not as weirded out as I used to be about naked, or partially naked models sitting on the shelf, and I am not one of those hobbyists who insists that even obviously unrealistic paint jobs require realistically painted eyes.

If I do, I’ll probably strip the black paint off and replace his reins, because I still remain a minimalist when it comes to Original Finish restorations. But not much beyond that: if he was simple discard, a cull of little import, then those scuffs and marks are also an indicator of his history. Fully restoring him would erase all that. 

Just something to think about. 

4 comments:

timaru star ii said...

My 2 cents would be to strip the black and replace the reins. No more. I'm not sure I'd call that a restoration; restoring the hooves' original color, perhaps. Wild thought: leave some hooves black. Hang the current reins off the saddle. I'd have a hard time finding the right chain, so my advice is pure opinion.

ANDREA said...

Jewelry supply places sell the chain, but the nearest place that would have it is about an hour drive and full of many other distracting things.

Yvonne said...

I have to find a photo, but I have the same guy!!!!! But mine came (sealed) in a regular box labeled as the palomino Western Horse! (The second time I have purchased a model and gotten a weirdo instead!)

Suzanne said...

Maybe the Family Arabians were part "warehouse find" and part special run. Maybe they came across leftovers, and produced more to make it worth the effort of marketing them. Maybe enough collectors who'd missed out were writing Breyer, requesting colors besides palomino!

My mail order source was Horses International, and if memory serves, they offered the discontinued and surplus special runs at a discount.

"Memory" is the concern. I know I'd commented on one of your posts that a friend had a sorrel FAS. But it was a distortion. I happened upon a photo of my fried's collection, and he's just a typical matte bay!