Saturday, April 22, 2023

In The News

My spoiler-free Picard review: it was a very satisfying series finale.

It doesn’t need a signal boost, especially now that it’s over, but the auction to benefit the effort to save the Beebe Ranch from development should at least be noted: 

https://www.breyerhorses.com/blogs/news/benefit-test-run-misty-and-stormy-up-for-auction

Misty and Stormy look so good in Gold Charm Pinto! While I realize this was probably the quickest and easiest way to generate the funds for the Museum of Chincoteague Island’s fundraiser, I am a little bummed that a way couldn’t be found for the less-well-heeled among us to get in on the action via a Special Run of some sort. I have… a lot of Misties, and a few more would not be unwelcome.

Yeah, I know I could just… donate. And I might. But a memento of the effort is always nice.

Reeves also made the announcement that they’d be packaging most of the BreyerFest Special Runs this year in more recyclable packaging, including honeycomb paper. I’ve been using kraft paper as one of my primary packing materials for years, and I have not had any significant problems with it: it’s lightweight, shapeable, easier to store, has multiple other uses (paper-mache!) and it is (of course!) biodegradable. 

I recycle as much bubble wrap and other packaging as I can that enters this house, but a lot of people… do not, as anyone who has either worked in a factory or retail environment can attest.  

(I do my part: 95% of the boxes I use are from work, and I haven’t had to buy craft cardboard for years!)

And many hobbyists seem to forget that most Breyer models in the 1950s and 1960s were packaged quite similarly – or with even less – and were perfectly fine. 

Speaking of the environment, I’ll be planting trees in a park in my hometown on Arbor Day. Arbor Day just coincidentally happens to fall on my birthday this year, so cake may also be a part of the festivities, if any of y’all want to show up to watch me and my coworkers dig holes in the ground. 

And finally, I have some more awkward and ironic news: it appears that (as of this moment) I will not be joining the ranks of volunteers at BreyerFest this year. 

I knew there was a possibility that this would happen, since live showing often (but not always!) eliminates you from contention. And people who volunteer frequently are often given “time off” for no other reason than to give other people a chance to participate.

But it does me a little bereft of things to do at BreyerFest outside of the show, other than selling and socializing. All the workshops are long sold out, and most of the more interesting seminars (to me) are the same day of the show. 

I mean, I do need to sell more stuff, and I have been feeling pretty lonely lately, so more socializing with “my people” doesn’t hurt. But still, it is kind of a downer as I’ve now got to rearrange my plans yet again….

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yeah, I thought the Misty & Stormy were special runs, it didn't even cross my mind that they'd only make one set. I sort of wish they'd made Stormy copper. If wishes were horses...

A favorite proverb of mine: "The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago!" :^)

Anonymous said...

The models of the 50s-2000s era were significantly more durable than what's rolling out of the factory now. People don't need to worry about shiny marks or rubbed off paint on glassware because guess what, it's already shiny and slick. This is a whole other issue. This paper thing is just asking for trouble.

Eliminating people from volunteering just because they're showing is just stupid. You can just as easily be unavailable on a given day for any other of a myriad of reasons. So that seems to leave several options here: either they just want a reason to point to so they can eliminate people they don't want (except their usual favorites who get in anyway) or they expect people to make working for them their top priority no matter how far said people travel to get there or how much money is spent to be there. Either which way, it stinks and frankly I hope you turn them down flat if they come calling. They said no so now people who have been refused should start planning their vacations accordingly and stick to those plans without Breyer usurping their time.

Anonymous said...

As anyone who has worked with organizations or events that rely on large numbers of volunteers, it can be extremely difficult and, as they say, like herding cats. Not every volunteer is equal in terms of commitment, work ethic, and skill. It’s also a puzzle to piece together everyone’s availability to volunteer, which means that some of the people who want to do the show and volunteer won’t get picked - if 50 people want to volunteer on Friday and only 10 sign up for Saturday, for example, the math doesn’t work out to choose everyone.

I do think volunteering should be a top priority for people that choose to do it. If someone doesn’t want to put in the time, effort, and inconvenience, don’t do it. Breyer doesn’t owe anyone a spot or a volunteer model. If I was in charge, the volunteers I would choose first are the ones who do it because they love it and just want a T-shirt, not the ones who just want to sell the model to fund their BF trip.

Anonymous said...

The problem with your thinking is that most organizations/big events that rely on volunteers are non-profits, not multi-million dollar events that people are traveling from all over the world to attend and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to attend. This is not a charitable cause and it's the main vacation for the year for most of the people attending. It's also the only opportunity for some of the unique activities provided. So people are supposed to pass up those opportunities and spend their money to come and help Breyer make more money? Yes, they get a model, which they may or may not like. Selling that can recover some cost, but the cost of volunteering is getting pretty damned steep and invasive on people's time.

Anonymous said...

if you want to do OTHER things don't volunteer. simple as that commenters. It's fair they try to switch people out than getting to do it year after year. So many new collectors in the hobby these days, they deserve a shot too.

who cares if you've spent thousands and thousands to attend? If you aren't available to do your shift each day then they will find another that is.

Anonymous said...

So why is one day and one activity different than other days or other activities??? There are four days' worth of opportunities and activities total to volunteer. That doesn't even make any sense, especially since some people are allowed to do it and others aren't.