Monday, April 24, 2023

Dealing With The Dealt Hand

For what it’s worth, I am fine: this is just the Universe reminding me I am not that special after all. There is no need to get angry on my behalf. 

The main thing that threw me off guard about it is the fact that I’ve been rejected, denied, ignored and overlooked for a lot of nonhobby things lately (I’m still trying to find a collision shop that will even call me back about my car!) and having the one thing that’s been a safe call for a while now not be took a little wind out of my sails.

I decided to make something of that frustration on Sunday and pulled some weeds, worked on a quilt top, and researched horse butts for a couple of customs languishing on craft table. 

I also bought another rehab project off of eBay, this time a vintage OF thing; if I can fix it up, it might lead to a pretty keen Collector’s Class entry, since that’s possibly my best shot at scoring something sweet at BreyerFest this year. 

I wasn’t going to enter any of those particular classes, but since they’re reopening them for entries and there’s now space in the car, it might be worth a shot, especially since there’s (ulp!) 181 other entrants to compete against in the actual show-show. No pressure there, yikes…

One of my more reliable showhorses, one I am considering taking to BreyerFest Live, is an exquisite example of the 2011 BreyerFest Special Run Jasmine:

They only made 1100 pieces of her, which seems rather small now, but she was one of the higher piece runs. She was outnumbered by the 1200 piece Spun Gold Surprise that year: even though it was just the second year for the Surprise (after 2009’s Quarter Horse Gelding) it was already one of the most popular items on the BreyerFest Special Run menu.

I didn’t participate in the Treasure Hunt in 2011, but I did go out of my way to get “Thunderstorm” because Black Arabians are definitely a thing for me, and I was lucky enough to get drawn for a Mont Tremblant, too.

My Mont Tremblant doesn’t get out as much as my Jasmine; lately I’ve been taking my Zugspitze when I want to bring a Silver Filigree to live show (everybody loves Zugspitze!) She keeps me company in my office with Jasmine and Thunderstorm, and that’s good enough.

The only Weather Girl I’m in serious need of – but it won’t happen, so I try not to think about it too much – is the Liver Chestnut variation of the BreyerFest Natasha from 2019. The Red Bay version didn’t do anything for me, but gosh the Liver Chestnut was a dream.

(I was never much interested in the Sunshine Celebration Exclusive Event Gloss Silver Red Bay Winter Haven – just not a fan of that color.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are very special! Don't forget that.