Tuesday, January 3, 2023

New Year, New Problems

Well, I got my new year off to a smashing start – I broke my sewing machine! I swear that whole bobbin mechanism just hates me on a deeply personal level.

(Literally the first time I tried to thread it, the bobbin case catapulted and wedged itself into the innards of the machine. This time I think a broken chunk of needle jammed itself into the bobbin case, which is now immovable and unremovable. Ugh.)

So I decided to repair a couple of vintage customs instead. With any luck, they’ll be done by the time the sewing machine gets back from the service center. The only thing slowing me down there is the fact that the epoxy takes forever to cure in the cold; it’s great if you’re doing something large or complex, but a real pain in the rear when you’re doing simple repair work!

In actual Original Finish Breyer news, they released the photos of the BreyerFest Stablemates, and gosh they’re all so cute!

It’s difficult to pick a favorite, but I’d probably go with the little Brishen – it’s hard to go wrong with a Bay Sabino Roan Pinto. But I wouldn’t argue against solid Glossy Dark Bay on anything, and it certainly suits the new Haflinger mold Kit.

That being said, I am trying very hard this year to stick to a strict budget: I have certain savings goals I want to meet by the end of the year, and that means not a lot of extra anything. No NPOD dives, no leftover or warehouse sales, and no swapping around for extra tickets at BreyerFest. And only entering for the Web Specials I absolutely have to have.

I’m not going to pass up any fortuitous finds or extra-cheap box lots, but “new” horses are definitely not a priority for the next 12 months: the only things that will be are trip expenses (BreyerFest, live shows, Wyoming) and obligatory Club purchases. And some health stuff I have to take care of. 

With the sewing machine – and all the new paints I had to buy to repair the customs, because my existing paint was old and kinda gross – I’m probably already a bit over my budget this month, as it is.

I just got a quick scan of some of the new releases for the year earlier today, and (fortunately!) I don’t see anything that jumps out as a “must have”, so that will help. Other than the Christmas Horse Highlander who – for once! – doesn’t look like something that fell into the Christmas Clearance bin at Michael’s. He’s downright classy.

I still have more than enough stuff to sell online or a BreyerFest: a lot of it was stuff I couldn’t fit in the car last year! I’d love to get my hands on more bodies and dollar table items, but I’m not going to worry about it if I don’t.

Well, back to inventorying stuff. My Buy List just keeps getting longer and longer…

6 comments:

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

I love Highlander! But my favorite is the Flagship Sucesion and Le Fire. :)
Sorry to hear about you machine! That's a real pain. :/

Corky said...

I too am pretty excited about the flagship mare and foal set, and the stock horse mare and foal that debuted in the Premier Club last year are super-cute in palomino! I also adore the mini Brishe, and the ASB is nice too!

Anonymous said...

Huh!! Just when I was starting to get into collecting the Holiday Horses!! What's with the all the Grey's all of a sudden?? 2021 was Arctic Grandeur; 2022 was Snowbird; and now Highlander?? (Ya'll do know that we already have a Grey "True North" called "Chase Me"??!!) What kinda Christmas name is "Highlander"?? (Makes me think of the TV show of the same title---"There can be only one!!" 😀)
Sorry--not trying to be a "Debbie downer". I was just thinking with the success of the Christmas "Nickolas", that they'd like to follow through with that color scheme--ya know??
(Can't you just see a clearware with the bells/ornaments in those retro colors??
As for 2023, I already have my list made out as to what will be coming home with me--including the mare &foal set and the Halloween "Ashquar"!! Which really ruins my resolution to cut down on purchases as I have other goals that I 'm striving to achieve--plus the fact that I've discovered (to my horror!!)that I'm literally out of room for any more models unless I do some serious shifting and/or storing!!! And now they're beginning to show the Breyerfest models??!!
Arrrgghh!! I'm in *serious* trouble!!!! Heh!
Andrea--hopefully it won't be long before you get your sewing machine back in good working condition!!

Holly Harris said...

Andrea I have a Viking sewing machine I would be glad to give you if you want it. It was my grandmother's and I know she had it regularly serviced and it should be in good working condition; but no one has used it since she passed. No one in the family sews and I want to give it to someone who will use and appreciate it. Post a reply if you do; I live in the middle of the mitten, so we can work something out for pickup or delivery.

After seeing the first BF 2023 special run I know I need to get an all access ticket this year. Last year there weren't any special runs I had to have and the general admission ticket was a good option at the time, but that chestnut Anamar is gorgeous. I didn't care for the PC release with those weird jigsaw puzzle piece dapples, but Speos is a must have for my collection

Anonymous said...

None of the standard Christmas horse were super decorators some were pearles and ofc bayberry and the marigold morgan but nothing super strongly fantasy looking off top of my head too I don't recall any pinto, appaloosa runs, buckskin but no duns?, a taffy could be very interesting.

ANDREA said...

Holly, I'd love to take your grandmother's old machine!

I'm working with my trusty old backup Singer right now, but another machine would come in handy, especially if my ambition holds out this year. I'm usually available most weekends, though probably not this one...