Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Four Mares

I bought another box lot of bodies, mostly because I was feeling some weird anxiety over the slim pickings now residing in my body box. They were super-duper cheap too, so even with the very modest (mostly single digit) prices I tend to assign to them, I’ll still make a nice little profit at BreyerFest.

As long as I don’t take too many of them for my own personal use. (One, maybe two, tops! I swear!

I still have a ton of stuff (nearly a whole ‘nother bin) I couldn’t bring last year, so now all I’ll “need” to restock for BreyerFest are a few more goodies for my totally decimated Dollar Table. 

I do plan on trying to sell as much as I can before Kentucky (still not sure if the Wyoming excursion is going to be right before, or right after!) but I like having a little bit of something for everyone. 

I put in for the Weather Girl Flamingo but, as I expected, nothing came of it. I have lots of pretty Weather Girls already (my exceptionally nice BreyerFest Jasmine places at every show!), and it would have been nice to add her to the herd, but I’m not going to fret about it. 

Another beautiful girl who’s probably not coming home with me:

But this one is by choice: like a lot of BreyerFest models this year, Othello is another shelf hog. “Tilly” certainly won’t lack for suitors, and at least that clears the mold from Surprise contention. On the other hand, that also means that the Hamilton speculation will get even more out of hand...

Speaking of Saddlebreds, the Crystal is based on the Calliope:

I don’t collect the Crystals – I may have mentioned this before, but I was (literally!) born clumsy, so I try to avoid buying breakable things unless they’re cheap, or already broken. I don’t think I even own a single glass or crystal animal of any kind or brand. I do have a couple of very inexpensive bits of slag glass I have picked up in my travels, though I would hesitate to say that I actually collect it. 

And finally, there’s the latest Test Color, a Bay Pinto Misty:

Oh, you precious creature: the one I want the most, and have the least hope of acquiring. Collectively, vintage Test Color Misties aren’t exceedingly rare, though most of the ones I’ve seen have been solid-colored: Bay, Black, Alabaster, and (my personal favorite!) Dapple Gray. I think there are some Appaloosa-flavored ones out there, too. 

I’ll be working quite a bit of overtime over the next month or so, so if the Universe happens to be listening, I can totally afford it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Misty was a test for the Christmas Set Vixen & Blitzen. The bay color is remarkably similar.

Lydia Lepic said...

I was really hoping to get chosen for Flamingo, but since we're in the middle of a move/fixing the house to sell/scheduling my tonsils' removal...well, it's probably best to miss out on her. I'm really happy I got Elsa the glossy cow earlier in the fall though. I'm rooting for you to get drawn for the Misty test color!

P.s. I'm still intrigued by your "professional candy taster" comment! Night shifts, over time, and the frozen dairy industry disclaimer as the footer has me so curious! You're quite the mysterious blogger! ;)

Anonymous said...

Would Hamilton be relevant to a driving theme? I didn't think Saddlebreds were driven while performing the rack, only the walk and trot.

ANDREA said...

No real mystery, I work as a Quality Inspector at a candy factory.

As I like to tell people, I eat candy and play with toy horses for a living: I really can't complain.

All I have to do now to complete my trifecta is write a New York Times Bestseller, or win a Hugo Award. (Both is probably too much to ask for, LOL.)

Anonymous said...

Yes. They compete in pleasure driving, roadster, and other driving events.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my point wasn't that Saddlebreds can or can't be driven, obviously they can be. It's that they aren't driven at the rack unless that has changed recently? It just makes me feel Hamilton would be a mismatch for a driving theme.

Anonymous said...

I can't see that thing pulling a stagecoach regardless of gait.