Sunday, January 22, 2023

Between Love and Like

You’ll have to forgive me for zoning out a bit today. Work was… extremely challenging this week. This has given me the incentive to finish that quilting project I recently restarted; if I’m lucky and the fingertips hold up, it should be done by Monday. Not very well, but done!

They finished up the Ticket Special reveals this week. First up: another gigantic and slightly tippy model in a gorgeous color? Argh!

Seriously though, I do love this color, and want to see it on more models in the future. I’m just not 100 percent sure I want it on a Shannondell.

(Pauses to imagine it on the Stretched Morgan. And now on the Bell-bottomed Shire. And finally on the Running Mare and Foal. Notice a trend here?) 

The Bristol is also lovely, in a color reminiscent of the 2001 Toys R Us Special Run Valiant, on the Five-Gaiter:

While I am a big fan the mold, I’ve become slightly disengaged from it because of my experience with Peregrine (and my lack of Redmond). I might change my mind, depending on what the display samples look like at BreyerWest.

And finally, my second must-have: Scurry, the Fell Pony Emma in Bay Pinto, who is very reminiscent of the Stablemate Emma in the most recent Blind Bag Assortment that has (so far) only been spotted at Tractor Supply:

I should be okay as long as she’s not the Gloss/Matte Split or the Color Split model (because what they did with Marzipan last year is apparently going to be a thing going forward now?) I suspect the Shannondell may be a stronger candidate for that treatment.

So what I’m getting so far consists of all the various Stablemates, the Store Special Via Lattea, the Lady Phase/SSHF set Surrey and Axle, and the Fell Pony Scurry: all things I love, and not just like. 

I’m not sure what I would get with a second ticket if that happens this year; Peanutine is tempting just because I don’t have as many Brighties as you think I might do, but I may just end up using them as pickup slots for people, if need be. I want things I love, not like, and too many things this year fall in that very gray area.

Contrary to Reeves’s semi-vague wording, there are actually quite a few more models to be “revealed”: an Online Only Traditional, the Individual Store Special Stablemates (online, and in-person), another Best of BreyerFest Stablemate Set, and possibly another Traditional Store Special. And of course, various prize and raffle models…

I am a little bummed there has been no Old Timer, and I’m not quite sure where it would fit in to the remaining reveals, unless – and I would not put it past them – they decided to create yet another class/type of Special Run this year to put him into. As one of their most popular Vintage molds, and one that literally has a harness molded onto it, it would seem rather odd not to include him in some way. 

And it would be a little heartbreaking to have it be another extremely limited item like Jake, the 2002 Hat Contest prize model.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for Old Timer!
I love Emma but ever since the original we haven't had her as a regular run. Christmas pony doesn't count.
So I am actually a little miffed they made her such a regular run looking color. And this is where I assume she is the color swap candidate and I am not going to spend 60 bucks on something that has a 50% chance of looking different. The color swap option stresses me a bit as someone who can only attend online, heh.

Anonymous said...

I’m not going to be surprised (pun intended) if they don’t use the Old Timer, even though it’s an obvious choice. They didn’t use the Classic Polo Pony when India was the BF theme & it was also an obvious choice that most were expecting. Breyer is often oblivious to the obvious.

ANDREA said...

An older, never more than modestly popular Classic Scale mold, on a base, depicting a sport that most people don't know originated in India? Not so obvious to me!

I think the main delimiting factor with Old Timer is that he's expensive to produce: lots of fiddly bits to attach and paint.

Little Black Car said...

I'm trying to slow down on the horse accumulation but now I know I need to save up for that Shannondell. OMG.

Corky said...

I love Via Lattea, but I'll be downright mad if they don't use the Pacer for at least SOMEthing. (Not that I need another Pacer. I quite literally have 11 of them on display in my kitchen right now -- and that's just what's turned up in unpacking so far!) And the Old Timer does seem like a no-brainer. Maybe he'll be one of the auction models, in a really fancy color? I can't participate in the auction so I'd have no hope in hell of owning him, but at least seeing photos and knowing he just exists would be nice.

Lydia Lepic said...

As a Black Stallion fan, I've always wanted a version of Old Timer that looks like The Black's stable buddy Napoleon. He's always been looked over as a model, and I have a soft spot for the ol' guy. :) For a collector who has been out of the loop since the early 2000s, where might I find info on BF pick up for dummies? I always wanted to go as a kid, and as a 34 year old, it's still true, but probably not in the cards for the way my calendar is shaping up.

Anonymous said...

YES! WHERE is Napoleon?!

Anonymous said...

I’m dreaming about Old Timer’s hat as a keychain in the VIP swag.

Anonymous said...

What do you think the other color would be for Shannondell if they use him for the color split? That’s interesting, he’s not the one I would have thought of for that.

Boulder Sheep said...

I think Shannondell split with be matte/glossy, not a color split. I'm on the fence with him; I don't collect the mold but many other *do* so he's an easy one to trade. And I too keep looking for the Old Timer: will he be the Surprise? Ha ha, that would be lovely and no, I think too many would scream in a sad way.

Anonymous said...

I can see Shannondell being the mane/tail variation if Breyer brings that back this year. I don’t think he’ll be the matte/glossy split since they did that last year on Landler & their colors are identical. I think the Arabian will be the matte/glossy split. If they do a color variation I think it will be on Speos (chestnut or bay) or on Scurry the pony (bay or palomino). I suppose the Jump
& Drive could be the mane/tail split but if he is there’s gonna be a lot of upset people since I’ve seen so many comments about an obtainable long maned Bristol.
They won’t use the Old Timer as the Surprise. It’s a vintage mold plus the time needed to paint the harness & add blinkers & a hat is not practical in a run of nearly 8,000. If they use the Old Timer & I’m not convinced they will, he’ll probably be a prize or raffle model.