Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Test Color Bears and Other Dreams

Believe it or not, I’ve seen a surprising number of Test Color and Oddity Bears (including a lovely White one at BreyerFest this year!), so the latest Test Color offering isn’t that much of a shock. I’d love to have him, of course, but I am under no illusion that I will picked for it. I’ve got other things to pay for, anyway.

I had a few spare moments yesterday (work was… more stressful than I anticipated) so I thought I’d Google “Breyer”, “Science-Fiction” and “Worldcon”, and this is what I found:

https://file770.com/meet-the-2022-national-toy-hall-of-fame-finalists

A discussion about Breyer on a Science-Fiction Fandom news web site!?! If some of the names are not familiar to you, Cat Rambo was President of the SFWA from 2015-2019, and Cora Buhlert just won a Hugo for Best Fan Writer.

And proceeding to do a deeper dive, I found these obscure YouTube gems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp42r0TKP0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeyBUMvHN34

More proof that the model horse hobby is, indeed, fanac. 

So my childhood fantasy of someday being nominated for a Hugo Award is not completely out there? And the possibility of a Science-Fiction or Fantasy-themed BreyerFest is also not quite as crazy as some may think? 

Sweet. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was also tempted by the bear! But I'm being frugal at the moment. And man, I wold love an F&SF Breyerfest. :)

Cat Rambo said...

(And this is Cat Rambo, since it showed up as unknown. Drop me a line if you'd like to try to meet up and talk all things Breyer at a con sometimes, I'm down in Indiana, but northern edge)

Corky said...

A fantasy/sci-fi themed Breyerfest would almost certainly tempt me to attend it in person again!

ANDREA said...

Will do, Cat! I'll be sure to pack some Stablemates to paint...

And if you happen to have BreyerFest weekend free sometime, I'd like to extend an invitation in kind!



Lydia Lepic said...

The bear is so cute! But I could never in a thousand years afford a $1,000 bear. I can't even bring myself to spend $100 on a much-coveted Uffington. And right now I can't even spring for the Johann glossy in the Collector's Club. (Remodeling a house is really cramping my style.) My husband and I decided earlier this week we'd put a freeze on fun-stuff spending for a bit, and wouldn't you know, the very next day Breyer finally announced the release of those pretty Lipizzaners. Boo hiss! Hopefully there will be something in my budget around Christmas...

Cora Buhlert said...

There are quite a few toy collectors, including Breyer collectors, in fandom, so collecting toy horses is definitely fanac.

Breyer had very little distribution here in Germany, since Schleich is the brand of choice for high-quality model horses and other animals (and dinosaurs) here.