Saturday, September 10, 2022

Burmese

So much for my grand plans for the week: my body completely crashed and burned on me Thursday morning after work, and I’m still not anywhere near functional. 

I mean, I knew it was coming – there’s no way I was going to party that hard without consequences! – but I was kind of hoping to put it off until the weekend, when I could afford the time.

In lieu of Worldcon bits and pieces today, I suppose it’s appropriate to say a little something to mark the passing of the world’s most famous hobbyist this week. 

I won’t bore you, again, about the time I met Queen Elizabeth’s lady-in-waiting at BreyerFest; you can use The Google Machine if you want to re-read it. I do want to say a little bit, though, about the first Breyer Special Run created specifically to honor one of her horses, Burmese:

You don’t see or hear much about this 1990 German Export Special Run nowadays because it’s a rather boring and unremarkable thing: a solid, unshaded Black paint job on a Traditional Secretariat, a mold few people love or collect. 

Only 500 pieces were made – which was pretty typical for a special run of that era – and for a brief moment after they were released there was a market for them. There weren’t a lot of special runs getting made around that time, and this one was initially available only through European dealers, which made it a hot commodity among U.S. collectors for a while.

You don’t see many of them for sale today. Some of it can be chalked up to the passage of time: it was released over 30 years ago, and there have only been a million or two special runs released since then. 

Burmese was also a product of its time: as a consequence of its shift in production from Chicago to New Jersey, they lost a lot of the talented employees that made Breyer what it was. Reeves was primarily a distributor, not a manufacturer, and they could ill-afford those losses.

While many of the models that were released during this time were (and are) beloved by the collectors who discovered the hobby during that era, those of us who came before (and after) are a little more sanguine about them. 

Everything and everybody goes through a rough patch or two in their lives, and if the models Reeves released during this time period were the worst of theirs, I think weathered it well.

(Let us not speak of Shrinkies.)

Will Burmese see a renaissance of interest now, in light of Her Majesty’s passing? Perhaps. Mine is not going anywhere: I am rather fond of the Secretariat mold for a variety of sentimental reasons, and I am not the kind of person who sees my collection purely in monetary terms.

4 comments:

EllOnWheels said...

I don't have Burmese, but I do have Mandiba, another run of 500... I picked him up cheap a few years back (under $50 US). And I bought him because while I was at the 2010 WEG in Kentucky, I wasn't collecting at the time. So, it feels nice to have something limited from that trip, even if the mold isn't popular. Heck, I paid more for my nice condition Esprit on the secondary market. I would love to add a Burmese to the shelf at some point too. This poor mold... I get why it's not as popular, but when looking at the painting on which it was based, I can definitely see why it ended up like it did... But like you, future monetary value is very much a tertiary consideration in what I collect. I collect what makes me smile when I walk by my shelf. Simple as that.

Glad you had such a good time at the Con. I miss them, but am not quite ready to go back yet due to health issues. However, it's so nice to see people getting out to them again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea--This message doesn't relate to this posting. But I have a question. I purchased a Breyer Vintage 1979 Chestnut Cantering Welsh Pony on Ebay a little over a year ago and stored it on a shelf inside a cabinet. I pulled it out the other day and it's all tacky (matte finish). What would cause that? Thank you.

Yvonne said...

My brother picked me up a Burmese when he was stationed in Germany. While he's not the prettiest mold; or done in the prettiest color, he will forever have a place on my shelves (With the German SR Hanoverian he also sent along with Burmese).

Little Black Car said...

I **so** wanted a Burmese back in 1990 but didn't get one until pretty recently. Its not one of my favorite molds--I think I only have two, Burmese and Mandiba--but these were the years when special runs were still really special and I was a young teen with no money and no way to track them down. I'm still collecting the models I wanted when I was a kid.