Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Secondary Game

Oh look, another Special Run that sold out before I even knew it was up for sale!

You know, kind of like Fabio last year. That I still haven’t gotten yet because, aside from life in general, I don’t like doing the secondary market on brand new models. 

This is getting… tedious. 

You know, I wasn’t all that into the Frame Overo/Picture This vote thing for BreyerFest last year to begin with – heck, I can’t even remember who I actually voted for, out of the choices given – but it sure as heck is annoying to have another Collector’s Club Special come and go without even being given the opportunity to decide.

Something needs to be done about this. I mean, the secondary market for everything is so bad right now that if something’s not an open-ended regular run item, I now basically have only a matter of hours – if that – to decide if I even want it. And that’s if I’m lucky enough to find out about it in time. 

And you know I don’t play the secondary game, sorry. I don’t like to reward what I consider bad behavior. Anyone who has ever been owned by a terrier knows that all it leads to is more bad behavior.

It’s not that big a deal, again. But if this nonsense keeps up, eventually it will be. 

In a sense, it already has: I’m beginning to care somewhat less for more modern Special Run releases, especially on more modern molds. 

If this had been a Stud Spider, for instance, this would have been a much different conversation. 

A couple of months ago I was fantasizing about what kind of offbeat Test Color I’d “gift” myself if a “Design Your Own Test” opportunity ever actually came up and they told me that my Lemon Yellow Palomino Man o’ War and Wedgewood Blue Polled Hereford Bull (with pink hooves!) were definitely not possibilities. 

Okay, fine then, then give me a Blue Roan Frame Overo Stud Spider, but make sure the Blue Roan part is freckled like the vintage Red Roan. 

And while we’re at it, give him those goofy 1997 bi-eyes, because why not, right? I’ve seen some of the “creations” other people have come up with: bi-eyes and old-fashioned freckle roaning on a Stud Spider is pretty tame in comparison. 

I really don’t try to be the weird child in my play group. I just am. 

Anyway, peace out: I’ve got some edits to obsess over. 

8 comments:

OFonlyMe said...

It was an easy pass for me but had it been on the Adios I voted for...well that would have been another story!

Yvonne said...

hey were still on and off sale yesterday and this morning. Kind of a hit or miss chance to get one. Not sure what was going on, but I agree, it is getting harder and harder to catch these special items before they are gone and it's taking the polish off my desire to keep collecting...

Amy Christopher said...

I know what you mean. It seems like getting these special runs is like being in a gunfight...you better be quick on the draw or you're out of luck.

Unfortunately, by the time the email goes out and gets read, the dreaded 'out of stock' is already on the road sign. I did manage to get one this time. Purely by accident as I was signing in to check something out totally unrelated. I've been in the hobby since the late 70's and I've been buying and selling since the days of buying rolls of stamps to send out the SASE's for sales lists posted on JAH.

It's rather alarming and a little gut-wrenching to see how the market has gone. It's also a little scary to complain, lest a cyber lynch mob comes out of the wood work screaming I'm sour grapes and waxing poetically about their hurt feelings.

I'm glad that there's plenty of new faces in the hobby. I'm just sorry that it seems like the clubs and special runs seem to have gone haywire with speculation and sky-high resales.

Don't get me wrong. I see nothing wrong with reselling a model at profit. I'm a capitalist all the way. However, it does make me long for the days where it was the exception, rather than the rule, that semi-rare models went for between 400-800, instead of in the thousands.

For instance, a few years ago I purchased a Bluebird raffle model for $1500. A price that still makes me weak in the knees at the thought. It was the most I ever spent on a model. Now, how much would it go for? 5K? Most likely. Maybe more if two collectors got in a bidding war.

All the glossy prize models I bought in the past? $300-400 on average. Now double or triple that easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to understand and, I guess, cope with the adjustment, because I am out of the running for anything remotely rare these days.

Resins have kept steady in their prices. Stones have gradually crept up but overall there isn't the type of price jump on Breyers.

All of this hasn't made me want to leave the hobby. I still love it. I just have resigned myself to being content with regular run models, sprinkled with an occasional special find, and club models which I can purchase at the original Breyer price tag.

For instance, I love Nonoma. I'd love to have all four variations. I just don't think it's going to happen. Besides the one I got, I did manage to snag a no markings one for under $200 and I was thrilled. Owning two of the variations are great. Even so, I can pursue past foundation stallion run variations and have lots of fun doing it.

Anyway, enough said on my part. I enjoy your blog so much. We're lucky to have you share your knowledge. Thank you so much!

Mindy said...

I understand the frustration.

It wears you out sometimes trying to keep up. Thankfully Breyer saved me this year. Had they done Adios and then a variation I would have easily bought 2 or 3. I adore him. This one I skipped. I have the Glossy Bollywood who is close enough.

If you're interested I have a Fabio. He had a chip of paint fall out of his ear. But I would let him go for cost. He's pretty just not one of my molds.

Anonymous said...

I did buy one, saw he was released by peeps on FB. I also have great friends who PM me immediately with releases. Might be worth it to start a chain like that if you keep missing out.

Hokieponiez said...

I am trying so hard to find a bi-eyed misty I am going cross-eyed %)

Boulder Sheep said...

Don't look now, they just did it again with the Gambler's Choice "Spyder." Sold out within 45 minutes of the email dropping.

Heather said...

One might what to consider since the Pandemic hit in early 2020, more folks invested in the $25 Collector Club. Perhaps the CC Special Runs were a percentage of the membership and Breyer hasn’t increased that percentage thus keeping an unreasonable low run to an influx of computer savvy new comers! At least that is my theory, for now. I’ll wait for the next CC SR and hope I’ll be in the right place at the right time!