Friday, March 12, 2021

Silver Basecoat Blacks

[Head’s up: the next week is going to be coo-coo bananas for me, so if I disappear for more than my usual 2-4 days, I just want to let you know I am (probably) not dead.]

Turns out I did have a few moments to spare yesterday so I opened up my Lafayette after all:

Nice! I am pleased.

When they mentioned “silver basecoat” in the original notification e-mail, I assumed that meant that Lafayette would be the same silvery black color as Summer Solstice, Gwendolyn, and the Weather Girl Thunderstorm

I own all three of those models – I like them enough that they’re all a part of my display collection – so I was perfectly fine when that did turn out to be the case. I was lucky enough to get a Lafayette without any significant condition or box issues either, and that’s good because I don’t have time for any of that right now.

People are very quick and not at all discreet when it comes to expressing negative opinions on the Internet about any darn thing, so it appears that my opinion (currently) seems to be in the minority. 

Apparently he’s not black enough? Weren’t folks complaining not that long ago that they didn’t like solid black or near-black horses? Stuff like this is why I buy what I like and try not to get too caught up in the opinions of what other people like. 

Personal preferences are personal preferences. Nobody should be shamed or bullied for liking or disliking something on an aesthetic level. 

I’m a visually-oriented person, so trust me, I am judging people’s aesthetic choices all the time, especially when it comes to clothing. And sometimes I do find them wanting. 

But I do so internally. The only time I tend to verbally comment on anybody’s apparel choices is when I am either envious, or it looks really great on them and I think they deserve the compliment for their good taste. As long as as it meets all of the the legal definitions of acceptable attire, it’s none of my business if they think they look great in magenta.

(Nobody looks good in magenta. Okay, almost nobody.)

Anyway, I’ve liked popular things that have become unpopular, I’ve like unpopular things that have become popular, and every shade in between that. 

6 comments:

Denise said...

I tend to be in the minority most of the time since I love black horses-the blacker the better. I was surprised when I received Lafayette since the stock photo did look solid black to me but I am not complaining in the least. The silver basecoat really sets the model off and this is my favorite run in a LONG time. I am very pleased there is very little white (another being in the minority-I prefer as little white as possible). The dapples on my example are subtle and the shading is awesome. Would I have liked it more black- of course! But as I said, I love the way he turned out and I will be looking for more variations and please Breyer more horses in this color! Oh his color reminds me of Justin Morgan Black Jack and the glossy dark dapple gray Five Gaiter Storm. So thrilled with this model!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm not in the collector's club, and when I saw the prototype well, he was okay, but that was about it. I LOVE this mold though and figured I would paint a few for myself. Well, Lafayette looks so much prettier in collector's photos I wish I would have gotten one. :(

Anonymous said...

I love this guy, but had to send mine back, both of his ears were crushed/bent back and not fixable. I will wait till Sept now, and that's OK.

Hopefully they'll fix the crapple problem by then... ;)

Kaivala said...

Mine has a rub on one side a bit above the hock but otherwise is so gorgeous I not willing to risk send back. I love black as a kid ofc Farley's books were a favorite. I felt my Lafayette was very nice dark dark graphite just light enough to see the points and dapples faintly. I also really liked my lyric who showed up same day, less so the stablemate club first release as mine had blotches and rough spots. I hope all your busy things go well

Suzanne said...

He is beautiful...

Honestly though, he'd look a bit better matte. I feel like the newer models (compared to the very streamlined Hess scupltures- Fighting Stallion, Running Mare, etc) tend to look "greasy" with heavy gloss. If it's a matter of protecting the paint, Breyer could reintroduce those lovely satin matte finishes.


Qatgirl said...

Pertaining to your "magenta" comment, I would add chartreuse to that list. Nobody looks good in chartreuse, especially me. And I learned that the hard way!