Saturday, March 20, 2021

Birds of a Feather

I used to think that a sure way to make money was to set up a live feed of some of our neighbors; while I have accepted that I am not normal, some of my neighbors in comparison make me feel refreshingly average.

But the past couple of days – mostly consisting of me cursing at my computer as I attempt to learn how to edit videos – have led me to believe that a livestream of me teaching myself new things might be more entertaining. 

(FYI: While it would probably be hilarious watching me yell at a ball of yarn or throw my woodcarving tools against the wall, it ain’t happening.)

As I’ve asserted for years, both comic book fandom and the model horse hobby have a lot in common – both for both the better, and the worse. After watching Zack Snyder’s Justice League Thursday night I strongly considered writing a post about how the model horse hobby also has a toxic fandom problem.  

And you might have noticed, there are certain common hobby words, arguments and phrases that I do not use specifically because they play into the hobby’s darker nature. There’s a sense of ownership among certain segments of both comic book fandom and the model horse hobby that goes well beyond what’s rational and reasonable.

The vocabulary you use makes a difference.

But you know what? It’s the first day of Spring and I am going to let that nonsense go. My seeds are sprouting, it’s starting to warm up outside, and my studio is all set up and ready to roll.

But back to actual horses for a bit, here. From the sneak peek photo in the most recent Breyer newsletter, the general consensus was that the next release in the Birds of a Feather Series was going to be a Silver. And the consensus was right:

I’m not a huge fan of the Silver mold because it’s been used to death: nearly 40 releases in the past twenty years, not including Test Colors, Samples and unique and/or unobtainable Live Show prizes or Event releases. There are Traditional molds three times as old that haven’t had that many releases in their lifetimes. 

It is kind of hard to get emotionally attached to a mold with so many releases in so short a time, and so many of them are impossible to get regardless. 

But somehow they found a color/finish combo that he hasn’t been issued in yet: Glossy Light Buckskin. I am very picky when it comes to buckskins, so in spite of those two handicaps, I rather like him! 

If I get Goldfinch, great, but I’m also cool with not getting him, because things are a little nuts here at the moment and adding another package to the pile would be problematic, especially if it’s something that’s not a must-have for me. 

All of my actual must-haves I have been escaping me on eBay, or but that’s another story. I may have more money to spend nowadays, but I am not going to change my spending habits because everyone else has. 

3 comments:

Corky said...

The phrase "No one hates 'Star Wars' as much as 'Star Wars' fans do" can be adapted to just about any pastime, it seems.

Denise said...

The one color that I am waiting to see Silver released in is palomino. After all there was a palomino Silver in one of the Breyerfest logos a while back. Everyone thought for sure one of the SR's for that Breyerfest would be a palomino silver, but that didn't happen.

EllOnWheels said...

I worked at a comic shop for over half a decade, and I can definitely corroborate there being some similarities in the fandoms. There is less gatekeeping it seems, but it is definitely there. There are also financial constraints. If some collectors have deep pockets and others don't, then that will make a difference at shows. The price gouging lately is a bubble that will most likely burst. People who have money to burn on plastic ponies during a global health crisis will only be able to buy so many ponies for themselves, and then the prices will start coming back down... But that may take a long while for it to happen, and they will probably stay higher than when they started. But there will be some nasty surprises for those who bought high when they go to sell in a number of years, especially if the economy hasn't recovered for those of lesser means.

That's why I try to just make my collection about what I like, such as my ridiculous love for the Justin Morgan mold. It's awesome in a way, because it's something I think I can afford everything that is attainable if I want to go full conga on it.