Thursday, December 31, 2020

So Sparkly

The Jóls are starting to arrive, and to be honest, I love them all. Traditionals with embedded glitter? Be still my heart... 

I know some folks were complaining that the colors weren’t “festive” enough, but growing up with a mother who saw Christmas Trees as her own personal creative challenge, the notion that holiday decorating has to be limited to a red, green and gold palette is an odd one to me. 

One of the first things I learned from her: anything can be festive if you cover it with enough glitter. Or pinecones. 

Speaking of, here’s my festive holiday centerpiece, made almost entirely from stuff purchased at Dollar Tree. (The pinecones and branches came from the backyard, obviously.) It didn’t win the contest it was entered in, but you probably already guessed that:

I set it on the table, everyone went “Ooh, it’s so pretty!” and that’s when I knew it was over. I know this game.

But back to the Jóls. The Clear ones are obviously reminiscent of ice, the Teal Blue ones look like the Disney version of a Nokk, from Frozen, and the Red ones look like my favorite holiday candy, Filled Raspberries

I’ll be happy with any of them; I like them so much, in fact, that once I get this exhausting mess around me sorted out, I might make an effort to complete the achievable trio. 

But the mess before me is huge, and that effort is far away. 

I’ve actually made some decent progress – I can now walk through my office without stubbing my toes! – but I still have a lot of hard decisions ahead of me. What gets sold, what goes into storage, reevaluating my goals and priorities for the coming year…

Buying less stuff is definitely on the menu, regardless. Once all this packing and paperwork is done, I think I’ll just focus on my first loves – Stablemates and earlier (1950s/1960s) Vintage items – and maybe actually finish a few customs and other hobby projects in whatever spare time I am able to carve out in the new year. 

5 comments:

Julie said...

I'm curious about this year's coal model. Breyer usually shows what the coal model looks like in the product page. Not this time. I wonder if it's a completely different mold. Like maybe a fjord? Just a wild guess.

ANDREA said...

Since they already had a Glossy Black SR of the Icelandic - Sokkar - I'm wondering if it might be either Translucent Black, or maybe like the 2007 BreyerFest SR Times Square, with glittery decals. (One of my favorite Decos ever!)

Sally said...

I lucked out with the clear Icelandic, this is my first time in the club. In 2018 I spent 2 glorious weeks in Iceland with friends so I'm a little sad I couldn't get them one too. I'm also feeling the need to complete the magical sparkly trio!

Anonymous said...

The coal this year is a glossy black Galiceno not an Icelandic. One is for sale on MHSP.

Christi said...

I got the teal/blue/green/aquamarine Jol, and love it. The color reminds me a bit of some of the blue-green icebergs I've seen in pictures.