Saturday, December 12, 2020

My Dirty Ponies

While everyone else was plotzing about the Space Bears or Star Wars spin-offs yesterday I was having a grand old time with a big box lot of dirty ponies:

Here’s a close up to give you an idea of what I’m dealing with:

I know I am not alone here, but cleaning dirty plastic ponies is my happy place. Buying a lot like this is not about adding to or upgrading in the collection, or even about making any money off the deal, though when all is said and done I will probably make a small profit. 

I just really enjoy taking something dirty and unattractive and making it presentable and/or pretty again. In some ways it’s much like a customizer’s impulse to make something beautiful out of what they presume is less so. 

The only difference here is that instead of rejecting the original color, shape or design, I’m restoring it.

Some are already done, some are still in process, and some (like the deeply yellowed Shire, and the Proud Arabian Stallion who I’ve nicknamed “The Trainwreck”) are definitely long-term projects. 

The only one I think I might be keeping (so far) is the Clydesdale Foal, who turned out to be a Pearly underneath all that muck. The Clydesdale Foal is one of the less common vintage Pearlies, and she has rather pretty shading too, so that’s cool.

The Shire might also stay, depending on how well the de-yellowing goes. While she has some condition issues above and beyond the yellowing, her shading and dappling are so superior to my already existing Dapple Shire that it’s definitely giving me something think about.

The Old Timer has “cornflake” dappling (sparse, giant dapples), which is also a thing. On the other hand, I definitely don’t need another Dapple Gray Old Timer variation. 

The Diamond P Knockoffs are fun, but I have enough already and they will all be moving on eventually. The big standing one that seems to be an original design might stick around a little longer than the rest since I find him intriguing overall, even if his face is disturbingly serpentine. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please share photos of that pearly Clyde Foal when she's clean!

timaru star ii said...

Delighted to see the old Johnny West Thunderbolt. Unbroken! I played with those as a kid (and promptly broke the tail). Recipe for the first hair tail...

Suzanne said...

That looks like such a fun assortment, I'm very envious. They seem to be in excellent condition, minus the dust. Almost like a time capsule.


Ack, the Diamond P Running Stallion! I was going to ask after that charcoal horse in the back row, he has an impressive form, and yes, I see what you mean about the reptile face. Well, if you need a good home for him or the HK Western Horse- let me know! :^]

Anonymous said...

There is something very cool and nostalgic about finding a collection all together like that. Some little girl (I presume) had a pretty good collection going. Sad that at some point she said "I don't want these anymore."

Qatgirl said...

I still regret giving (gifting?) my Johnny West Thunderbolt (and Flame and Pancho) to a family member's daughter...