Monday, September 21, 2020

Life Choices

Heads up everybody: my schedule for the next seven weeks going forward will be different, and this may affect my Internet access. It’ll take a few days for me to figure out how, exactly.

The “silly season” gets off to an appropriately weird start: I received my first box lot and… it’s not the box lot I was expecting. It was completely different – and had more horses in it!

Everything seems to be sorted out, more or less, though I’ll have to wait until the weekend after next(!) to pull a completely different set of models to be upgraded out of my collection.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that in all my years of buying and selling, this is only the second time (I can remember) that this sort of thing has happened. And in this case, it happily worked out in my favor.

Especially since my new schedule will probably preclude me from doing my usual rounds at the thrift stores, antique malls and local independent toy and hobby shops. Tractor Supply and Walmart Specials are also going to be harder to search for, and of a lower priority anyway. 

Except for that little Classic TSC Drafter. I’m gonna handpick that little bugger, regardless!

Oh, and I bought another box lot. Because at this point, what’s a few dozen more things to sort out, right?

One thing I probably won’t be buying: the Green Money Manager on eBay right now. Yes, it’s another grail, but it’s in pretty rough shape, and I have several boxes of many models in transit to the house right now.

What’s interesting about it is that while my Red Money Manager doesn’t have the full Breyer Molding Company molding mark on it that my Cigarette Host does, this Green one example does.

We already knew that the Cigarette Host and Money Manager were being sold simultaneously – they were available side-by-side in the 1950 Sears Wishbook – but what this means is that (a) they were being manufactured at the same time from the same molds and (b) even the Money Manager comes with mold variations.

(Stares into space, considers life choices.)

I will now spend the rest of the evening at my sewing machine. I have enough fabric and thread to last me a couple of lifetimes, so the temptation to spend will be minimal, I hope.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I had to review the Money Manager posts...what if the Manager itself is repurposed from something Breyer produced for military use? If I wanted to go into educational toy production, I think I could have come up with something a little more alluring. But perhaps kids were more serious back then?

Andrea, I'll miss your posts! I could say I'll keep busy re-reading old posts, but I seem to do that a lot anyways. This blog is both reference and entertainment :^D
Stay safe and be well!

ANDREA said...

Novelty banks seemed to have been a thing in the Postwar era - parents who grew up in the Depression probably saw them as a good way to teach thriftiness. (And didn't we all get at least one "educational" toy for XMAS?)

BTW, my posts aren't going away - they'll just be posted at different times, and *maybe* at different intervals.