Monday, September 28, 2020

Disappearing Acts

We had all manner of pets as kids – cats, dogs, fish, birds and even a snake, at one point – but Mom drew the line at anything rodent or rodent-like. (Not quite sure how Dad persuaded her to let us have the garter snake, but ooh boy, that’s a story!) 

So you know, if you had told me even five years ago that Reeves would make a rat-covered horse for Halloween and that I would love it, I would have been skeptical. But here we are:

And in a Primitive Bay, too! If I ever get around to finishing that Mesteno custom I’ve tinkered with for the better part of a year, that’s precisely the color I will attempt on it. 

(Not likely, but a girl can dream.)

I ordered only one of the Spooky Stablemates because I didn’t want to deal with the possibility of getting two of the same model like I did last time. I have enough stuff to sell as it is, no need to potentially add another to the pile.

They also came with that new 8-piece Deluxe Stablemates Set that’s already discontinued, because the sets I found at local hobby shops were not to my liking. I took a chance on getting a better set off the web site, and it appears to have actually worked out for me this time

This is a relief, because I fear it’s going to be a scarce item in a couple of years. Originally I was going to save it for the Customer Appreciation Sale, but I didn’t want to take the chance that it may/will be out of stock by then.

Speaking of things disappearing quickly, I know some people are surprised that the Sable Island Horse release on the Croi/Connemara mold is also already on the Retired/Discontinued List. 

The fact of the matter is, no matter how beautifully rendered it may be, Matte Solid Bays are not that exciting to most people, whether they are hobbyists, general consumers, or live-horse people.

Hobbyists may complain about the lack of solidly-colored releases, but unless they’re portrait models or otherwise tied-in with a special promotion like a Gambler’s Choice, they just don’t sell as well as Glossies, Pintos, Appaloosas and (most) Decorators. 

So if you love it and want it, go out and get one now, before everyone else realizes they need it too. I’ve already bought way too much stuff this year and I’ll probably regret on passing on it, myself. 

But I seriously need to make about 50-100 or so more models disappear here before that can happen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too had a garter snake as a kid. Mom put up with it until one day when we found 32 little baby snakes squiggling around her!

Rags Paper Stitches said...

Where are you selling models? There is nothing listed on your MHSP link.

Suzanne said...

The Sable Island Horse...?*sigh*

I keep looking at that one, and I've come close to buying. That would make her the first new Traditional purchase since Splash in 1999! I'm sure the price has already gone up...

Suzanne said...

I lied, it'd be the first new Traditional purchase since 2002's Foundation Appaloosa. The price for the Sable has gone up by $5. Why do I feel like I'm being squeezed, between Breyer making more and more Traditionals that are way too expensive, and fellow collectors who expect the horses to increase in value just as long as they're still strapped in that yellow box?

ANDREA said...

Regarding the selling of stuff: it's going to take me at least another week before I get everybody cleaned up, sorted out, and photographed. I had to work the entire weekend and that set my plans back a little bit!