Saturday, September 19, 2020

Idiosyncratic Grails

There are actually two different categories of hobby “grails”.

The first is the more obvious, and the one we more often think of as grail models: something that’s some combination of old, rare and scarce. Like a vintage Decorator, a Raffle Model, a Test Color, or a highly-sought-after variation of a popular release (i.e. a Chalky Misty).

Things like that are usually acquired either by sheer luck, or the application of a lot of money. And often both, in the case of numerically scarce models like Raffle pieces and Test Colors.

The second is less obvious, but more common – in many senses of the word. These tend to be more idiosyncratic, and more personal. Like trying to find a matching Stallion, Mare or Foal to complete a family, after the fact. Seeking out obscure variations of less popular molds, like the Grazing Mare or Morganglanz.

Or in this case, finding the ideal or “ultimate” version of an otherwise very common release:

The #112 Palomino Western Prancing Horse is the most common of the original vintage Western Prancing Horses, that included the #110 Smoke, #111 Buckskin, #113 Black Pinto, #114 Bay, and #115 Appaloosa. The Palomino ran from ca. 1962 through 1985, outlasting the #110 Smoke by nearly a decade.

How common is the Palomino? I swear, I find one in almost every big body lot I purchase, and there’s at least one in my body box at any given time.

(Checks sales list: Yup!)  

I’ve gone through many, many Palomino WPHs over the years, but it wasn’t until this past week that I finally found The One, above

That’s the thing with these idiosyncratic grails: they’re often way more difficult to find than something that’s numerically more rare. Or perhaps more frustrating, because you find yourself wading through so many potential candidates and find most of them lacking, one way or another. 

You find yourself more forgiving of small (and sometimes, not so small) flaws in a rarity because you know the likelihood of finding something better is remote. But with something more plentiful, the nagging possibility of something better is always out there.

What’s remarkable about this WPH is that in addition to his “bright” un-honeyed color and near-perfect condition, he also has no USA mold mark.

That means he’s at least 50 years old, because the Western Prancing Horse didn’t get the USA mold mark until sometime in 1970. It’s like he was just taken out of his shipper box and teleported 50 years in the future!

Of course, this now means I have to dig the previously-somewhat-adequate one I have out of storage, in addition to the Spanish Fighting Bull I have to compare to the ones I found last week, and (you knew this was coming, right?) probably fish out a few others from not one, but two box lots that are slowly making their way to me.  

Oh, I also ordered the Breyer Halloween Classic Ratsputin and (only!) one of this year’s Spooky Stablemates. (I still hadn’t spent my $25 BreyerFest live show credit, and just happened to log onto the web site a shortly after they uploaded them, and they qualified as Regular Run items, so...)

And I haven’t even gotten around to completing my purchase for the Vintage Club In Between Mare Zahra yet!

So much for reining in my spending this Fall. LOL.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found WPH in every color EXCEPT palomino and buckskin! I know the palomino should be common, he was still being made when I started collecting but somehow I missed every getting one as a child and now, 40 something years later I still don't own one! (I know I could find one pretty reasonable if I looked, but I'm talking about one just coming my way). I have actually found two of those gorgeous black/white glossies, one smoke, one bay, a black leopard or two, the chestnut pinto with Brenda Breyer. But never a "common" palomino (or buckskin). Go figure!

Congrats, he's gorgeous!

Suzanne said...

Excellent color, and I can't believe how bright the reins are!! I wonder if they were sprayed with some sealant that gets worn away when the reins are jostled and tugged as they inevitably are when the model is a plaything. I adore the WP, he's the first Breyer I bought for myself, and I still have him, rubs and all. I've accumulated a couple more to paint myself...maybe...it's hard not to line them up and admire them...

I noticed people are selling IBM's on Ebay. *Sigh* I hope Breyer produces a "budget" IBM in the future.

Anonymous said...

Are the eyes original finish? I checked my 6 palominos and none of them are outlined like that.

If original, I am going to have to start hunting again...LOL.

ANDREA said...

I've noted bright chain reins on other vintage Breyers in the past, so I am assuming that either they changed suppliers for a while, or their supplier changed the reins for a while. (To aluminum, maybe?)

And yes, his eyes are outlined!

Since the actual IBM mold is now functional again, I am assuming that there will be at least a couple more IBM runs in the future, but probably not as regular run items. Gotta keep her special!