Sunday, May 31, 2020

My Missouri Fox Trotter Shortage

A few observations upon doing a very rough run-through of the part of the collection that’s in storage, hunting for potential show prospects.

I have… a lot of Basset Hounds.

And Elephants. So many Elephants.

I didn’t realize I also happened to collect Cigar. I mean, I had three of them on display in my office, so I shouldn’t be surprised. But, dang!

I also don’t have nearly as many foals as I thought I did, outside my horde of Family Arabian Foal variations. But I am already remedying that.

As I am with my Missouri Fox Trotters. For someone who advocated – and sent it in as a suggestion for years – I have surprisingly few actual Breyer Missouri Fox Trotters. So I am very pleased with this guy’s arrival last week:


Not just an Iron Metal Chief, but the 1997 Christmas JC Penney Gift Set with the certificate, blanket, original box and all that nonsense. Go big or go home, right?

Sure, it’s not something super-rare, obscure or even particularly desirable (he was cheap!), but sometimes none of that matters. As I’ve said so many times before: you’ll never go wrong just buying what you like.

I’m hoping to add a nicely shaded Prince Jester and that pretty Fleabitten Dapple Gray from the 2009 JC Penney set to my herd in the near future, too. Oh, and buy back a 2006 BreyerFest Pierrot that I once owned, then sold because I don’t know what I was thinking.

All the others Fox Trotters I really, really want are out of my price range – like the Connoisseur Masquerade, 2002 Raffle Model St. Louis Blues, and Frankensteed.

But anyway, unless something really spectacular shows up in the meantime (like that early BreyerFest Auction Indian Pony that went for almost nothing on eBay last week that I missed BY MINUTES) I think I’ll try to lay off making any online purchases between now and BreyerFest.

Even though my actual vacation expenses will be minimal this year, I’d still like to fatten the various bank accounts to soften the blow the Special Runs will make, regardless.

Well, back to my grindstone.

4 comments:

Wyoming Artwork said...

I think this mold is one of my favorites. I accidentally came to really like him after I bought him as a cheap horse to practice my customizing on...

PixelPerfectStables said...

Ok, I don't know how you manage it, but it's really interesting that you published this a couple days before the new shrunk-molds were announced- with the MFT being one of them. In one of the colors you're searching for, at that. Bravo! (I know it's coincidence and you don't actually have inside insight most of them time, no worries! It's just funny how many times things like this happened over the years! :))

Christi said...

Masquerade was the first model I spent more than $100 on, back in the day. I didn't get drawn, but I love that mold, so I had to have one. Took me months to convince myself to spend the $300 or so on it (and the husband had to help convince me).

Anonymous said...

I love Iron Metal Chief! I miss my big guy. I hope they make a mini-me of him some day with the new SM mold.