Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Rolling With It

I had my first BreyerFest nightmare a couple days ago, and it was a doozy. Partly because it was unexpected, maybe? Or at least unnecessary.

Then I logged on today to look at some of the latest BreyerFest news and saw that there are going to be at least… 300(!) entries for the Photo Show, so now I’m thinking: Oh great, looks like I’ll be getting creamed again, I see…

And the rain shredded my English Daisies last night. They’ll recover, but I have no pretty pictures to show you today.

I also didn’t get picked for a Bilberry, but seeing how I forgot to enter most days, that’s neither that big a surprise, or deal.

So I am not in the bestest place right now, guys. Which led to me engaging in even more retail therapy.

Some of the things I had been eyeing for a while anyway, so they’re not entirely spontaneous purchases. In fact, I’m trying to rationalize them as part of my “virtual room shopping”.

You’ve seen that I’ve made some pretty amazing purchases in the past year – the Presentation Man o’ War, the Showcase Grazing Mare, the Perfume Poodle, that Yellow Mount – so I’ll be fine with not getting some serious in-person shopping done this year.

But I will miss looking for those subtle variations and obscurities that you really don’t notice unless you’re face-to-face with them. And then showing them off to friends 15 minutes later, followed by the exasperated conversation that begins with “Girl, where did you find THAT?”

I haven’t had a chance to think through the finer details of the changes and announcements they’ve made regarding BreyerFest today, other than being intrigued by the “exclusive access shopping in the Warehouse Finds collection” which sound like a fancy-talk way of saying “virtual Ninja Pit of Death”.

The rest I’ll think about only when I need to and only if it applies to me or mine.

For example, for the past several years I’ve set up a Breyer History display at the Hands-On Hobby booth, but that doesn’t seem to be the case this year, either literally or virtually.

And I’m kinda bummed about that, since this was the 70th anniversary year and that sort of thing is literally my jam. But that’s not my decision to make, so the best I can do is roll with it.

For all I know things could be completely different a day from now or a week from now – or three days before! None of that is my decision to make, and while I am uncomfortable with this, I have to also consider the enormity of the task the folks in New Jersey are tasked with and realize my individual emotional needs do not take priority.

(Though if anyone wants to come to my house and tour the collection in person, or just hang out, that could be arranged. Pandemic willing.)

This is also why I decided to step about 15 paces away from some of the online commentary about these latest and greatest changes.

I hate being blunt here, but here’s a bit of life advice: if there’s a possibility for you to walk away from an unhappy situation relatively unscathed, don’t be afraid to take it.

Refunds or exchanges on tickets purchased prior to April 13 are still available through June 1. It’s perfectly fine if you do that and I’ll just see you next year.

1 comment:

Mini Hoofbeats Studio said...

Don't worry about getting creamed in the Breyerfest Photo Show with the number of entrants. The only things you need to be concerned about is making sure your photos are crisp and clear; portraying the correct color for the horse and not getting bleached out; AND to have fun in the process. What I've learned while doing MEPSA all year, is understanding that one: each judge is different, two: Composition and contrast are key elements to an excelent photo in addition to clearness, three: there's always room for improvement, and four: the horse's show side doesn't always agree with the camera which prompts a change of perspective (my camera picks up on the texture in the mane of both the Othello mold and the Fell Pony mold better than the smooth show side - which always comes out fuzzy). If you want to, you could always check out my blog under the MEPSA tag to see my progression throughout the year. It always helps seeing someone else's progression. You could see that some of them still made it to the top ten placings (the 1st-3rd placings are going to the Championship show at the end of next month - though, some of them I had retaken pictures). And with MEPSA, there are some people who enter over 100 horses in one show! So, it's a gamble either way. Don't get discouraged by the numbers. Have fun with it!