Sunday, May 3, 2020

Green, Man

Reeves is doing its darndest to get me to collect the Classic Brabant mold. And it just might be working:


The “Greenman” graphic on its barrel could have been a bit less stylized – I didn’t even recognize it as a face when I first looked at it – but I got everything else I wanted in this Pop-Up Store Special except the Unicorn horn!

The first two releases of the Brabant are still current, and since it seems unlikely to me that they’d release this mold as a Gambler’s Choice or a Show Special any time soon, this could be a nice, low-pressure model to focus on. 

Depending on how the whole online BreyerFest thing goes. I’m trying not to worry about that too much but you know, the mind wanders…

It is remarkable to me that in the 45+ year history of Breyer’s Classic-scale horses (or 50+ years if you count the Rearing Stallion, Bucking Bronco and maybe even the #36 Racehorse) that this is still only the second Classic Draft Horse mold, after Moody’s Shire A/B was introduced in 2002.

Incidentally, I did break down and buy a second BreyerFest ticket on April 30. Aside from already having the luxury of extra cash, I usually go in to BreyerFest with two tickets anyway. While I don’t think my two top choices – the Bull and the Trakehner – are going to be in as high demand as other releases this year (Othello, ahem), my luck in the line draws has not been good for a while, so I might as well give myself the extra chance at what I want, just in case.

I am also a little bit concerned that since the event is online and postage is discounted, the redemption rate for Special Runs is going to be higher: in other words, there will be fewer leftovers and more sellouts.

As for my second choices, I wouldn’t turn down a Surprise or a Sham/Lugh. I have a feeling the Lugh is going to be jaw-droppingly gorgeous in person, as most of Breyer’s Gloss Bays tend to be.

No comments: