Thursday, April 30, 2020

2020 One Days

I have way too much to do today to spend too much time with you guys today (it’s still April, right?) but the One-Day Stablemate Skye did me in yesterday:


You could put that Gloss Black Silver paint job on anything, and I’d buy it. Yeah, the mini Croi Damsha Arran is pretty great too, but that was a given:


And excellent, a Roan! I am always up for a nice Roan – either the realistic variety, or those funky Freckle Roans that debuted in 1968 on the Running Stallion. Man, when teenaged me found out that Breyer had painted Roans – they were discontinued about the same time I started collecting – I became a little obsessed.

It would be a few years before I even saw a Breyer Red Roan person though, because the hobby was almost entirely “virtual” for most of us back in the Dark Ages. Everything was done by mail, occasionally by phone, and news was transmitted only on a monthly (or bi-monthly) basis via mimeographed newsletters worth their weight in gold. You were lucky to get photographs of anything before you bought it.

When I finally did get a Red Roan it wasn’t what I expected but I fell in love, anyway.

(The 1980 Special Run Running Mare. I no longer own it. Long story.)

Back to Skye for a moment.

As I’ve mentioned before, I have reason to believe – but no concrete evidence yet – that Breyer’s Charcoal paint job was probably inspired by a black and white photograph of a Black Silver in an equine periodical, back when the genetics of horse colors were a little less well researched and the names of some colors had yet to be more clearly defined in equine circles.

I hope Reeves is planning on upping their production counts on the One-Day Stablemates, because I have a feeling that a lot of hobbyists are going to go for the “four-pack” option, since it appears to come with most the benefits of the standard Celebration Horse Ticket package, sans the SR Ticket and Celebration Horse.

I also hope they go on sale at a time when I actually have access to a device to purchase them on. 

And finally, as to whether or not I still believe the Surprise Model is Croi: I’m still not ruling it out, especially since the “no duplicates” rule got tossed out the window last year when the Standing/Clock Saddlebred was used for both the Early Bird and a Tent Ticket Special Run.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I agree on both counts! I would buy anything with this glossy black silver paint job too! And yes I always thought Breyer was trying to replicate black silver when they produced the charcoal. One of my favorite Breyer colors!