Saturday, April 25, 2020

Going Green

My first thought upon seeing the third Store Special – W. H. Topgun, a Dappled Buckskin Connemara on the Newsworthy mold – was that’s a pretty subtle way of working a green horse into the BreyerFest lineup:


But seriously, it’s more than likely that this is just Breyer’s often-questionable photography messing with us again; I’m sure that the actual pieces will be a warmer, more appealing shade of Buckskin in person and not a repeat of the classic, but still a little cringeworthy Green Bay #3163 Sham from 1994.

(Because, as I discovered in the Ninth Grade during Ms. Eberline’s Painting class, “olive green” is what you get when you mix yellow with black.)

No, this sneak peek teased the intentionally Green Horse to be revealed next week, a Decorator that is most likely the Pop-Up Store Classic release:


The current line of speculation is that in addition to being dappled lime green with gold and purple accents, it’ll probably be a unicorn as well, since the Unicorn is the national animal of Scotland. And also possibly on the Classic Brabant/Mighty Muscle mold.

If all that is true – or even most of it – you can sign me up for that one. Especially since it’ll be a while before I’m able to procure my current funky Decorator obsession: the Walmart Series 3 Dappled Glossy Purple/Carbonated Grape (!) Standing Warmblood Unicorn Chase Piece.

(Completely unexpected, and I love it!)

With BreyerFest being a virtual event this year, it definitely throws a monkey wrench into my selection process: I don’t make my final purchasing decisions until I’ve seen the actual items in person, usually. I’m hoping that they’ll offer other, non-studio photographs of the sales pieces available prior to us having to make choices on things like W. H. Topgun.

I’m generally good with surprises, but keeping them to a minimum this year might be a good idea, all things considered.

Off to do some gardening. And sewing (Anyone need face masks? I’m only making about a bajillion!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally saw a picture of the chase piece last night and it made it to my wish list as well! I probably won't be scouring the local Walmart's anytime soon though - 1) the whole virus deal. 2) The last rounds I made they all still had series 2 out and who knows how long it will be before they break into a series 3 box.

fabala said...

I want that chase piece too!

pawprint said...

I had the same thought about Topgun -- buckskin going green. I'm not sure I share your confidence about his real colour being better, though. I wish I knew, because aside from the green tones I really like the horse. I could play it safe and seek out one of the Best of British buckskins, I suppose -- so difficult to decide! I wish Breyer photographers had better luck capturing a model's true colours.

Corky said...

I really worry about Breyer's photography. Their photos of Starlight made her look yellowed, and for a brief panicky moment I thought they were duplicating "vintage" paint jobs to the point of being yellowed! Thankfully, when she arrived I saw that I'd been wrong, and she's gorgeous. W.H. Topgun looks entirely unappealing to me, sadly.