Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Having vs. Wanting

I can’t believe I did this, but I passed on the Web Special Teton.

Most of my weekend – well, the parts where it wasn’t raining – I spent taming my long-neglected garden. And while I was gardening, I though a lot about my BreyerFest plans.

Because, believe it or not, I haven’t really had much time to do it, at least in the last month or so. I committed myself to finishing the unfinished this year, and my usual BreyerFest timetable was an unfortunate casualty in all that.

(If something needs to be sacrificed, I am not all that invested in my Diorama Contest thingie, for obvious reasons.)

One thing I do plan on doing at BreyerFest is focusing on selling a higher volume of stuff I bring to sell. I usually do okay regardless, but I have a lot of odd (and not so odd) items that have been languishing on my sales list for a few years, and honestly, the space is more important than the money at this point.

This is also why I have not been my usual enthusiastic self at the local flea markets and thrift stores. (Though I did manage a pleasant side trip to an antique mall today. Lots of horsey stuff, but nothing I needed. Whew.)

I’m not going to give the stuff away, but if it takes a little extra effort – and accepting a little less money – to let it go, I’m going to do it. Perhaps with the help of some crazy sales and promotions, too. (Open Bar? Free Stickers? Corn Dogs? Pinata in the shape of Khemosabi?)

Anyway, back to Teton: while I liked her enough to enter for her, I did only enter for her once, in my usual “enter once, just for kicks” policy for models that I am not 100 percent gung-ho about.

I’ve found when I’ve done that – and beaten the odds – that I’ve ended up selling those Web Specials after a while. I am reminded of the immortal words of Spock, from my favorite Star Trek (The Original Series) episode Amok Time:
“After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.”
Preach!

This is also not very logical of me, but I hope passing her up doesn’t jinx me later on when/if something comes up that does make my heart flutter.

3 comments:

Corky said...

That's one of my favorite "Star Trek" quotes as well, and is very applicable to many situations.

Carrie said...

I tell you what, about 10pm at the CHIN, if someone were to hand me a corn dog, I ain't questioning & I ain't refusing. Sometimes BreyerFest just be like that.

ANDREA said...

Hmm. Do we have any possible volunteers to stand just outside my room at the CHIN at 10 p.m. on Thursday and Friday night and pass out free corndogs?