Saturday, May 25, 2019

Fairytale Friends

I am still on the fence about this “Fairytale Friends Club”, aka the Fantasy Stablemates Club.


While I definitely wanted to focus more on Stablemates for now as I sort out some of my storage issues, dealing with a third set of shipping schedules – as I mentioned before – might be just a bit too much for me, on top of all the other things I am juggling right now.

It’s also pretty clear that the club is designed with a specific audience in mind, and I am a little bit older than that particular audience. Which is absolutely fine! If everyone in the hobby took a deep breath and acknowledged that fact from time to time, the Model Horse Internet would be a far less stressful place.

Complicating the situation is the fact that each release is comprised of a Stablemates and a Mini Whinnies model, with the Mini Whinnies (and some of the Stablemates, if the blurred out background on some of the promo photos isn’t fibbing) being on either entirely new, or newly shrunken molds.

We’ve been getting new Stablemates for a while now, and at least one new mold a year via the Stablemates Club. But it’s been ten years since the last “new” Mini Whinnies mold – a Lipizzan performing a Capriole – was introduced. Or more correctly, was reintroduced, as the entire series was originally designed by Candace Liddy for Creata ten years prior.

New Mini Whinnies are an unexpected development, and confirmation that the blind bag Mini Whinnies assortments are selling well enough to merit a backdoor extension of the line, through a club. (If only the Paddock Pals/Little Bits could manage the same!)

But I was also thinking about scaling back on my Mini Whinnies collection: truth be told, I haven’t bought any in recent years other than the BreyerFest Showcase Arena Deluxe Playset I found in the NPOD a couple of years ago. And I am not sure I want to play catch up: other than the BreyerFest set having a prominent spot in my office, I haven’t been able to display any of them properly. Not with a Stablemates-gobbling hellhound roaming the premises!

Simply selling the Mini Whinnies off and keeping the Stablemates is not an option for me: splitting up sets is one of my personal model horse pet peeves.

Well, I guess it’s good that I have over a month to make this decision, anyway.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not pleased that you have to be a Collector's Club member to join this one. I primarily collect stablemates, not classics or traditionals... therefore I would be stuck paying inflated second market prices if I want these ones.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - maybe you have a friend who is a CC member and would join on your behalf? You pay all the fees, etc, and your friend has the models shipped directly to you.

:)A Reese

Unknown said...

You have to be a member if you want to join any of the clubs so the choice is membership or secondary market. You can buy all the RRs you want without it.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, no. I have no Breyer friends. It isn't all that popular here in Oregon.

Unknown, I can see that, that is why I'm annoyed. I want to buy the Fairy Tale one without paying a lot for traditionals I don't want.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of hobbyists in Oregon...enough to support having BreyerWest in Albany, just south of Portland!

Hokieponiez said...

Other than the fairytale club you wouldn't have to purchase any others joining the collector club gives you an opportunity to purchase special runs if you want to or put in for the lottery drawn models.

Unknown said...

You don't have to buy ANYTHING besides the membership to be in the collector's club. I'm not sure why that is still going around. There is no minimum purchase unless you join the Premier, Vintage, SM or fantasy clubs. Those require you to purchase each release in the club. That's it.