Sunday, May 24, 2020

Stud Spider Trophy

After nearly three days of continuous gardening, I am hurting in places I didn’t realize it was possible to hurt. And I am okay with that.

I still have a ton to do, but other tasks await and holy carp, it suddenly turned into Summer outside. (For the record: I like it hot, but I see no need to work myself into a trip to Urgent Care, especially nowadays.)

Here’s one of my latest binge purchases, a Stud Spider Trophy:


The #66 Stud Spider, like the #48 Black Stretched Morgan and the #47 Traditional Man o’ War, is another one of those releases that sort of multiplied on me while I wasn’t looking. I think I have… six or seven different Stud Spider variations now?

Almost enough for a Collectability Class entry, on its own!

So what did I do? After (obviously) not getting chosen for the Wedgewood Blue Stud Spider Test Color a few months back, I decided to be proactive and go looking for another Stud Spider or two to add to my herd.

The Trophy had been sitting on eBay for a while, and I finally decided to pull the trigger and bring him home earlier this month. Most Breyer trophies – outside of the occasional Sales Rep award that makes its way to the secondary market – are aftermarket jobs, and this is also the case here.

A moderately well-known one, at that. I don’t know how many of these were awarded, but it was definitely at least a handful.

I’ll still need to reacquire a decent #859 Family Appaloosa Stallion – a Bay Appaloosa Stud Spider using the original painting mask – and, eventually, a Test Color of some sort that also uses the original painting mask, like this slightly different Bay one:


It doesn’t have to be that one, though. I remember seeing other Test Stud Spiders back in the day in other colors, and I ain’t fussy. Just cheap!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this mold...although I only have 2. Just recently purchased a Black and White Pinto Stud Spider from the Dually Gift Set. It was really hard finding this guy...but I finally found one on MHSP in beautiful condition.

Anonymous said...

Do you know what this trophy was for?

Suzanne said...

I lost or sold my Stud Spider, but I think he has a rather dignified look, perfect for a trophy. I love the etched apps!


PixelPerfectStables said...

I have a slightly different Stud Spider trophy- also from 1989, but with no text on the front of the base and a simple engraved nameplate on a riser in place of the Ohio logo. I found the trophy at the flea market in my hometown in MA- not exactly close to Ohio!
Interesting note is that the company, "Regal Trophy & Awards Co" is also from Ohio (I think at one point someone mentioned that the "opportunity" trophies were assembled in Ohio?) and the last time I checked I believe they are still in business. I've never contacted them to ask about the trophies though.
I've named my example "Trophy Husband", and should I ever be lucky enough to come across a Breezing Dixie trophy, her name will be "Trophy Wife", haha!
I believe I posted pictures of him to Blab at some point, though I'm not sure if they are still there. I'm happy to send some by email if you're interested.

Here There and Everywhere said...

Appreciate your blog postt