Thursday, May 7, 2020

Retail Therapy: Pandemic Edition

I have at least three packages lost in the mail; the weather turned February-level cold so all the plants I had hoped to plant this week are still in the house (and all over the house); a fun box of bodies arrived nearly two weeks ago and are also scattered all over the house, and I haven’t gotten more than four hours of sleep any night in so long I can’t even remember now.

Not gonna lie folks: I am exhausted and not up for any nonsense for the duration. No griping, no conspiracy theories, no whining about whatever part of virtual BreyerFest you find unfair, no nothing. Take it elsewhere, I ain’t having it.

So in order to cope with all this, I have apparently engaged in an unseemly amount of retail therapy this week.

First, I did manage to score one of those BreyerFest One-Day Stablemates 4-pack. I was worried that I’d miss them entirely because I had a million errands to run that day, but fortunately there were still some to be had when I finally got home. So yay, me!

Second: Walmart Stablemates!


I was in the store for a completely different reason (emergency gardening supplies, see above) but I figured as long as I was in the store I’d swing by the Toy department and see if there was anything new.

I was hoping for the Unicorns, but I saw a complete set of these guys dangling from a peg hook, so I tossed them in my cart and went my merry way. The Paint Horse is my favorite – a Black Pinto Driving Horse, yay! – but the paint job on the Vanner is really beautiful in person.

They had a box of the Series 3 Mini Whinnies and grabbed a handful of them, too. Considering the circumstances we live in at the moment, groping them to get a complete set seemed inappropriate. So I consider myself fortunate that I only had one duplicate, and the teeny Hambletonian of my dreams:


In less stressful times, perhaps, I can complete this set. I stopped trying to get all the Mini Whinnies a while ago – too much to track and find, too little time or energy to do it – but I think I may make an exception with these guys.

(Or at least until they make some of these molds in Stablemates scale.)

Oh, and did I forget to mention that I broke down and ordered the two little Classic Brabants earlier in the week, because at this point, why the heck not?

I’m also hearing rumors that the Appreciation Glossies – Round Two are starting to ship. I don’t really care who it is, I just really need a shiny pony now.

3 comments:

Corky said...

Last week I went to a local WalMart I hadn't been in before, but was disappointed to find NO Breyers at all in their toy section. Boo! I need a mini Hambletonian! On the other hand, Nayati arrived and he's the bay pinto -- the one I was most looking forward to, so that's a plus for sure.

Suzanne said...

I share your gardening frustration! I’m in zone 5, and it was spring for a while...and now we’re expecting snow! The peonies are coming back vigorously, but the butterfly bush I put in a troublesome patch are just barely showing signs of life. Mostly focusing on the veg garden, but it seems like it goes from “too cold to plant” to “too hot for spinach” very very quickly.

Love the Vanner! Looks like a similar paint job to the Rivet?

Rodney's Saga said...

I'm with you on not wanting to hear griping about BreyerFest. Left a FB group b/c of the noises. It's not like they *wanted* to do this. They would love to have us all at KHP spending money.

Anyway. Call me a heathen but I am looking forward to seeing how they solve the virtual issues. In 5 years these may be standard features in addition to what we are used to. Be interesting to see.