Thursday, May 28, 2020

Stating the Obvious

I like it, but I’m not sure if I love it. He just seems sort of really obvious? And not just because of the Irish Draught mold’s absence with the One-Day Stablemates reveal made it so. The name, the mold, the color, the shamrock on the butt, all of it…


I mean, I really dig Translucent Stablemates in general, and Éire reminds me a lot of the BreyerFest 2017 Stablemate Navya on the Django mold that I love for all the wrong reasons.

(Long story: I always imagined that the ugliest possible Breyer release would be a Metallic Lime Green and Magenta Khemosabi. Navya probably the closest I’ll ever come to that, but I find him so inexpressibly cute I can’t even.)

But we already have 1.5 green-hued releases for BreyerFest this year – the half being the Store Special Dappled Buckskin Topgun, because I’m tired and feeling a snarky today – and as much as I like the color green in general, I was kind of hoping for something a little bit different.

Like something in the Golden Charm family, drawing inspiration from legends of Celtic or Leprechaun gold. But there are still a few more things to be revealed, and who the heck knows what kind of surprises they have in store for us this year?

Besides whatever they were teasing us with today, which I am assuming is the third Pop-Up Store whatsit, which also looks Stablemate-like.

For the record, I’ll still try to get all things Stablemate anyway, timing and money willing.

Rather than now going on a weird ramble about how a movie about swordfighting vampires is a way more appropriate and authentic(!) media inspiration for this year’s Celtic-themed BreyerFest than a depressing medieval soap opera with dragons in it, I’m going to “peace out” for the rest of the day.

(Yes, my mind goes in weird places when I am bored. Which is why I try my darndest not to be. Bored, I mean.)

I’ll also be somewhat incommunicado for the next few days for all sorts of reasons, so don’t make a mess of the place while I’m gone!

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

I couldn't agree with you more on Navya. In general I don't collect Stablemates, but...