Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sitting It Out

Due to some glitch in the inventory company’s own inventory system, I find myself sitting at home for a couple of days this week, without work. During the busiest time of the year, when there’s literally work to be had all day and every day, and everyone (else) is complaining about the massive amounts of overtime they're putting in.

Normally I’d raise a stink because, hello, I don’t get paid to sit at home: no work, no pay. But I decided to turn this liability into an asset, and get some other work done in the meantime.

(Model horse related, mostly.)

The "Consolation" Special Run Bull Colton does appear to be being made specifically to cover the oversells on the Logans at the Vault Sale. I’m not sure if they’re going to make just enough to cover the oversell orders, or exactly the same amount as Logan, or what.

On Reeves’s inventory issues and the Vault Sale, I will speak no further. Not because I have nothing more to say, but because of diminishing returns. There’s no point in making an argument once everyone’s made up their minds.

The other big news this week is that all the BreyerFest 2013 stuff has hit the Breyer web site in a big way. A bunch of different Specials were announced, including a Desatado in Dun, a pretty chestnut pinto Haflinger, and another pinto Nokota Horse (as the Early Bird Special).

One of the Raffle models is the Traditional Totilas in a Star Dapple Gray, which makes about as much sense to the "Denim & Diamonds" theme as the Early Bird Special Stretched Morgan did to last year’s "British Invasion". The paint job looks a little weird, but it's also a not-good photograph of a test piece, so I'm not fretting over it.

There’s going to be another SR "satellite" store, too: one of the Specials available in it will be a Bucking Bronco in a quasi-buckskin color with kerchief-style decals on it. It’s very similar to the Home Decorating Show Paisley Rearing Horses that broke my heart a couple months back. I love the Bucking Bronco mold, so heck yeah, it's on my must-buy list.

The two Store Specials were also announced: a Black Tobiano Pinto Bluegrass Bandit named Lady C, and a pinto Brighty named Tennessee Titan. Titan is similar, but not identical to the still-incredibly-desirable 2005 Fest Special Run Oliver. Judging from the reaction I’ve been seeing to the Brighty, I’m guessing we’re in for another very quick sellout. (Keeping mine, if I get a hold of one.)

They also announced the themes and rules to the contests, and honestly, I just can’t get all that worked up about either one of them right now. I am utterly indifferent to the charms of most country music. I’m more Motown than Hoedown: I like some of the old-timey stuff, bluegrass, yodeling cowboys and stuff like that, but most modern stuff makes my eyes glaze over.

If I can come up with something, I’ll do it, but I just can’t get as emotionally involved as I did last year, where I ended up flaming out rather painfully. (When other people win with your same ideas - not once, but twice in the same year - yeah, you do tend to take it rather personally.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely know what you mean about the country music!

I'm new to your blog and enjoying the history :)

I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions?

Firstly, I was wondering if you knew if hot air from a house's vent would damage Breyers near it to it? (Some of mine are on really high shelves under one)

And on a totally unrelated note,I was wondering if the Newsworthy mold actually looks like a welsh pony in real life (I don't think the pictures are very flattering but have noticed you often complain about stock photos!)

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Random question-do they still do the Collector's Choice models? I can't find anything about them after 2011

ANDREA said...

I don't know if they've officially "retired" the Collector's Choice program or not. It seems like it, but they might just be retooling it a bit. The clubs allow for a certain amount of collector input into new releases, for instance.

As for hot air vents, it depends on how hot the air is near the vents, and how close the models are to them. If it seems to be an unusually warm spot, especially in the summer, I'd move them. More for the warping, than the bloating.

I have no idea how "Welshy" the Newsworthy looks. The actual Newsworthy was of mixed parentage, if I'm recalling correctly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice, it's where the hot air comes through in the winter so I'm a little concerned about it :/

I was wondering about the newsworthy mold as I collect welsh ponies and am interested in the new Ballou model but didn't think the pictures looked that great. I think you're right about Newsworthy himself though :)