Friday, October 13, 2023

The Legions

Here I thought the reason I was in kind of a sour mood this week was because I just missed getting a really sweet deal on a Presentation Collection Bison on eBay. Nope, it was something else entirely:

https://ew.com/comic-books/keith-giffen-dies-superhero-comic-creator/

Most comic book dilletantes know Keith Giffen as the co-creator of both Rocket Raccoon and Lobo, but I first encountered him due to his work on The Legion of Super-Heroes. After I came back to comics after a brief hiatus, I was fortunate enough to do it literally at the very start of The Great Darkness Saga. (Why it has not been made into a DCAU movie yet is beyond me!)

Even though I was involved in Legion fandom during his tenure on the title, I never got to make his acquaintance. Other in my orbit certain did, and I heard stories, so I can perhaps still claim him as part of my “Six Degrees of Separation” circle.

And now, back to our program…

I’m sure the season is partly to blame, but I can’t generate the same enthusiasm everyone else is expressing over the 2024 Deluxe Collector’s Club membership exclusive Stablemate Horatio, who is a mini-me of Othello:

I was just wondering what the next “mini-me” Stablemate was going to be, and I definitely did not have Othello on my Bingo card. (I am still holding out for Ethereal!) 

I don’t dislike him, but much like the Silver, he’s already come in a lot of colors, and it’s hard to do anything original with him. (My first reaction to Horatio: another fuzzy gray one?) And with his legions of fans – no pun intended there, I swear – he’ll be very hard to acquire when they do. 

I like his larger counterpart better: the first 2024 Collectors Club Special Heath. You all know I am a sucker for roany paintjobs. But like most Othellos before him, I’ll probably be bowing out of buying him. I am quite happy with the assortment I already have. 

And one final note, because I know the right people will be reading and I don’t have a Facebook account to correct it at the source, and it’s bugging the heck out of me: the realistic Deer Family debuted in 1964, not 1974. That sell sheet/insert itself is from 1964!

There were the usual variations in color, finish and mold marks throughout the years, but the Deer Family was relatively unchanged from 1964 through 1997. The only thing “new” about the 1974 release – aside from the box and the model number for the gift set – was that the individual members of the family were no longer available separately.

(I’m crossing my fingers and hoping it’s a hint. Now that, I will buy.)

4 comments:

L. Robinson said...

You’re not alone. I have no interest in the mini Othello. I have no interest in the Traditional Othello even though I have Silverado & glossy Fall and, like you, I’m perfectly content with them.
Did you get the text I sent you yesterday? I hope so since the link will interest you.

Corky said...

Keith Giffen also created my all-time favorite superhero: Ambush Bug!

Anonymous said...

I like the mini, but also was bummed another grey.

While I LOVE my Tilly from Breyerfest this year, the new trad pinto does nothing for me. I'm not a big fan of red roan pinto, they tend to go pink and I'm not a fan.

Lydia Lepic said...

The mini-me version of Othello is cute, but I was surprised that I wasn't more jazzed about the mold when I got Tilly. But I think the tinyness will win my heart. I've been turning stablemates into carousel horses recently --it's both way too much fun and frustrating--so tiny things are my jam. But the models I would just absolutely die over as stablemates are the vintage mare and foal molds. Especially the grazing pair.